Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Astringent/Chemical off-flavor - is it my water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Big_Belgian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Astringent/Chemical off-flavor - is it my water?

I've noticed a chemically, astringent kind of off flavor in most of my beers, especially noticeable in my pale ale and other lighter beers (but it is present in the darker beers as well). At first I thought it was the dreaded "extract twang", but I went all grain last year and its still there. Its a harsh, very bitter astringency that is strong in the aroma and in the taste. Others don't notice it as much as I do, but that's typical I guess - I am my harshest critic.

Some research has led to the idea that it could be caused by chlorine or pH levels of my water. I use City of Milwaukee tap water, which I've always heard is fine "as-is" for homebrewing. The city indicates that Chlorine has a median level of 1.10 mg/L and pH is 7.68. I can post other parameters if helpful. Thanks for thoughts as to things I could try to identify and fix this issue.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 24

'As-is' is never correct if the water comes from a municipal water supply. They are required by law (at least in the US) to provide a disinfection residual in the water lines. Its that disinfection residual that will produce chlorophenols in your beer. That must be removed or neutralized prior to brewing. But otherwise, MKE water is generally fine 'as-is' for most brewing use.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Drop half a campden tablet into your mash water and sparge water and see if that helps.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Any way you would brew a batch with bottled spring water just to make sure it is indeed the water and not some other part of the process?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
MBTB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Are you using an aerator on your faucet? I can smell the chlorine when I fill my kettles with an aerator, which tells me it off gases well enough, and heating the water should remove any residual gas. But I'm no expert on water. I've been brewing with Lake Michigan for years with no issues. From what I've seen, water analysis for Two Rivers, Milwaukee and Chicago are pretty much identical. The only other cause(s) would be process or ingredients. If you give more info, someone should be able to help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

http://www.bjcp.org/faults.php

Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
chitowngator
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Similar problem here in Chicago and got worse once I moved from extract to all grain (BIAB). Stouts were fine, but pale beers had a weird twang or grainy taste. Once I started treating my water the off flavors went away.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
bcridley
Recipes 

Add a campden tablet and make sure your acidifying your sparge water. It should be around 5.6-5.7 range or it will extract the aromatics your tasting.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney645 View Post
Drop half a campden tablet into your mash water and sparge water and see if that helps.
This is the way to go, your off flavor is most likely chlorine, or some derivative added by your water plant. Campden tabs will remove all of them. Also a very cheap way to solve the problem, $3.95 for a bag of them, and 1 tablet treats 20 gallons

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Your water contains chloramine. You have to either filter with an activated carbon filter or use Campden tablets. My fridge has a little activated charcoal filter that will remove most of the atrazine, rocket fuel, and chloramine. Otherwise just use bottled water or campden. Try that on your next batch. Also you mentioned a difference in light vs dark beers. Your mash ph may be off.

Quick Reply