Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Astringency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #21
jesse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister View Post
UPDATE:

I tried the gelatin and it worked well. I think it would have worked better had I gently stirred it in and had the beer not been carbonated. I read after I added it that stiring it in helps it bond electronically to the negatively charged particles before settling out (I assume the tannins are negatively charged). Still, a 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin (hydrated in 1/2 cup of water then boiled and cooled) knocked out at least half of the astringency, maybe more, even though a lot of it settled out without contacting all of the contents. I also added it to my Scottish ale which normally is crystal clear but this time had chill haze. Used 1/4 teaspoon and it worked like a charm.
Just wondering what type of gelatin that you used and where you got it???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 AM   #22
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I guess that I am a bit confused. You still need to end up with 6.5 gallons or so for a 5 gallon batch. So do you sparge with less then top off to 6.5 gallons? Don't want to hijack the thread but the reason that I am asking is that I did my 8th AG with a small grain bill and had problems that I never had with a large one.
Exactly. Sparge until runnings are down to 1.008 or so at which point you have about as much sugar as you are going to get without tannin extraction. Then top off with water to get your pre-boil volume. I would have to check a lot of history of my recipes, but I don't think I ever made a beer under 1.050 before, so I have always collected 6.5 gallons of wort without going under 1.008 final runnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
I bought the gelatin finings you find in most homebrew stores - I think it is LD Carlson.
Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
patman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Haven't looked at this thread in a while, so I thought I'd chime in.

Jesse, you can get gelatin finings from your HBS or online. Northern Brewer sells it for about $1.10 per oz. As Beercat said, you only need about 1/2 a teaspoon for 5 gallons, so the 1 ounce bottle could last you for a few batches.

Beercat, glad it worked out! I agree that stirring it in might help, but I haven't tried it. I didn't stir either, and I'm starting to notice that some of my bottles seem more mellow than others. Mind you, that could also be due to several other factors.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #24
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

I buy gelatin by the pound from Midwest.

But in a pinch, unflavored gelatin packets from the grocery store is the same stuff.

Quick Reply