Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Assumed Brewhouse Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
jeremyjudd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Assumed Brewhouse Efficiency

I'm relatively new at all-grain brewing - so if this is a dumb question, apologies in advance.

I usually get my supplies from NorthernBrewer.com. I was about to order a recipe, but then started wondering if brewhouse efficiency was assumed at 100-percent. If it was, then I figured I needed to buy more grain by default as no one actually achieves 100-percent efficiency with a batch sparge.

Steve at Northern Brewer informed me through instant chat that a 75-percent efficiency is assumed (he also mentioned that Rahr 2-row is a great neutral grain for adding to recipes that won't substantially affect flavor).

So, with all the conversation about brewers getting 80+ efficiency, I just thought it was worth asking, can you screw up a recipe with an assumed efficiency of 75-percent by having an overly efficient brewhouse?

I read in one of the threads someone was claiming to have 92-percent efficiency. If you assume only 75-percent, and end up with 92, it seems like you're original gravity would be significantly higher than intended... ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
enkamania
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 20

A lot of recipes are based on 70 percent as well. If you hit 92 on one of your first batches, that would be rare. If you are too low, this link can help you out. http://www.ahomebrewlog.com/gravity_adjustment/

Wasn't it a millionaire who said, "Imagine no possessions"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply