Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Arrogant Bastard Clone Options

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Dutch218
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I've made this. Dead ringer to AB in the bottle. (Doesn't taste like on tap...I wish it did.)

5Gallons

90% 2-row (13# 3oz)
10% Special B (1# 7oz)

Mash 148 for 90 minutes

Try to hit 90 ibu with all chinook.

.9oz of chinook (11.8%) at 85, 45, 15, 0 minutes.

WLP002 yeast. Many use 007 but that finishes too dry. By using the 002 you can get your OG of 1.072 down to the FG of 1.018 (which is what AB finishes out too.) This also lets you hit the abv.

How did you learn this kinda of stuff? I am reading this site way too much and am learning a lot on techniques, but how do you learn to critique recipes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #12
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My stab at this recipe is REALLY similar to Hammy's, but my hops were 13% and I just used a full 1oz at each of the 4 times.
I also used WY1028 (London Ale) yeast and adjusted my water for the Brown Bitter profile in Bru'n Water.
Starting gravity of 1.068, finished at 1.018.
Pretty darn hoppy with those few extra IBU's, but it was preferred by myself and everyone who tried it over bottled AB (the only version I've ever seen here in MI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch218 View Post
How did you learn this kinda of stuff? I am reading this site way too much and am learning a lot on techniques, but how do you learn to critique recipes?
For me, it's a single word; experience.
Reading up is great, and I encourage you to continue that, but there's no substitute for brewing a batch and documenting it the entire way, from brew day until you're cleaning whatever you used to store/drink the brew.
Then do it again. And again.
Talk to other brewers, go to craft brew tastings, brewery tours, etc.
All of the professional brewers I've ever met, big or small, have been incredibly generous with both their time and knowledge.
Hang out with people who are better brewers than you, that's how you'll learn, get better, grow.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
PoorYorick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think I have my recipe figured out. Bill as follows:

26# 2 Row
2.5# Special B
.5# Aromatic
12 Gallon Boil for 90 minutes
1 oz Chinook @ 70 min, 55 min, 40 min, 25 min, 10 min
WLP007 Yeast

Should yield an OG of 1.079 FG around 1.020
7.9% ABV if I can keep my efficiency up. I am probably going to get a little darker in color than Arrogant bastard but not by much. Expected IBU's 84.3

Im boiling 12 gallons to have flameout quantity of 10.5 gallons so i can hopefully get as close to a true 10 gallon batch as possible at finish.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Jamil and Tasty tackled this on Can You Brew It. Do yourself a favor and give it a listen. I think they did 2 episodes on it.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
PoorYorick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solavirtus View Post
Jamil and Tasty tackled this on Can You Brew It. Do yourself a favor and give it a listen. I think they did 2 episodes on it.
Alright, yea that second recipe came from someone who watched the two episodes. Ill give e a shot tonight if I can remember to watch when I get home. If not Im gonna try out this recipe... Im just excited to be brewing something close to my favorite brewskis finally!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch218 View Post
After about a half a dozen, five gallon 'test' batches. Trail and error. I'm grateful my brew pal is happy to take some of my failure kegs home.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I just kegged my 2.5 gallon 'Cheeky Bastard' and FG only got down to 1.019 after 3 weeks....stayed the same the last 5 days. Maybe the yeast died early as I kept it close to 60. Tasted great in the test jar and though it's only 6% ABV, I can drink more of it. The color looked to be spot on but I'll chill and gas it and test it in a week. Even if it's not remotely close, I know it will be good.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #18
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
Yes - I'd dry hop again. Based on what I've read the special B is the key, but I'm no expert. I just really like AB.

I have another batch in primary now, but it won't be ready for several weeks. I didn't change the recipe and I am dry hopping again. If it comes out maltier this time I can blame my technique the first time around. Although I had a badly stuck sparge this time, so I'm not holding out much hope.
I just wanted to give a follow-up to this post. Not sure if it's bad form to quote yourself - oh well.

I just kegged my AB clone tonight based on recipe #1 from the OP. Been dry hopped (1 oz) for a week. Been in primary for 4 weeks. I'll keg condition for another 2-3 weeks before popping it into the kegerator.

I took a small (er large) sample from the product going into the keg. Had a Stone AB at my side as a comparison. Color was dead on. I know it's not done yet, but I'm still missing the malt bite you get from AB. I cant imagine keg conditioning will fix that. It was very good though. Should turn out nice.

I'd say after 2 attempts at recipe #1, it's not quite there. I'll probably up the special B next time.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #19
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'd go with Hammy71, i.e. more like the 2nd recipe. I tried one like the first a while back and it was just way, way, too much, tasted like a christmas ale of some sort.

Just had an arrogant bastard the other night for the first time in a while, and my first though was yeah, there is definitely special b in there, but I don't think aromatic and biscuit and all that stuff.

I'm tellin' ya, go with Hammy's recipe.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
PoorYorick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I ended up using

26# Two Row
3# Special B
1# Carmel 10L
60 min mash, 90 min boil
Starting at 75 min I added 1oz of Chinook pellets every 15 min for a total of 6 oz
Ended up with 10.5 gallons of wort.

Sadly, I disregarded my basic physics, and began pouring 200 degree wort into a 6.5 gallon glass carboy sitting in a freezing ice batch and..... CRACK!!! Thermo shocked my carboy and lost a good three gallons of wort. Most valuable lesson learned? Maybe drinking during brew day isn't a great idea after all. Next brew I will be keeping my beer intake to a minimum to avoid costly mistakes like these.

All in all, I ended up with 7 gallons of wort in two different fermenters. I will take the OG reading tonight after work and see just how effecient the rest of my day was. One bucket Im going to pitch the WLP 007 Dry English and in the sport of trial and error I grabbed a tube of the San Diego Super yeast for the second bucket to see if that comes close to the AB.

Quick Reply