Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Apple ale????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
haigha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apple ale????

Hey all,

So I've been lurking for a while but now I am hoping to tap that vast keg of local knowledge.

A friend of mine really wants to brew an apple ale. Sort of a beer cider hybrid crisp, clean, and cool for the summer.

I was thinking of trying to brew a simple Belgian pale, forgoing the hops, primary fermentation as per the norm and then put some nice cider during the transfer to secondary.

Has anyone every made something like this that could suggest/comment on a recipe or methodology.

Cheerios,
Haigha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I am going ot try this at some point: Patersbier.

"Made only from pilsner malt, hops, and yeast, the complexity that results from these simple ingredients is staggering: perfumey floral hops, ripe pear fruit, sour apple, spicy cloves, candied citrus and a slight biscuit character on the drying finish ... a monks' session beer."

How about adding some apple to that? Either a little bit of extract, or some frozen, thawed and pureed and added to 2ndary?

Old 05-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Here's a recipe I just found using google...

Quote:
APPLE BEER:

Ingredients:

6 lbs. light malt extract 1 lb honey 1 1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (flavoring) 1/2 oz. Halletauer hops (aromatic) 1 quart of apple juice (if you haven't made your own, choose an apple juice without preservatives from your grocery store--many preservatives inhibit yeast growth). 2 packages of Nottingham Ale Yeast .

Procedure:

Boil 5 gallons of water. Add extract and flavoring hops. Boil for 60 minutes. Add honey and aromatic hops and flame-out. Chill to 170. Add apple juice. Top off with water to make five gallons. Chill to 75 degrees and add yeast starter. Rack after one week to secondary. Bottle or keg after fermentation is complete.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
gunhaver
Recipes 

Get your hands on New Glarus Apple Ale somehow. Pretty much perfect.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
haigha
Recipes 

That New Glarus Apple Ale sounds pretty much exactly like what we are going for. While I am reasonably experienced all-grain brewer I am a complete neophyte when it comes to recipe formulation. Anyone with a decent all-grain clone (or reasonable facsimile thereof) recipe?

I knew you guys would come through.

Cheers

Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
haigha
Recipes 

oh yeah and in terms of hops. I've been trying to think of a hop that would lend itself well to the 'appleness' and really have been contemplating not hopping at all. Thoughts?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Heh... I pretty much made exactly what you're describing. I used some left over LME, hops, 2 gallons of cider, and some belgian yeast slurry from a belgian pale that was finishing up. I will be force carbing and drinking it this weekend, i will let you know how it is. Here's my thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/todays-leftovers-special-amber-ale-cider-brew-113788/

Also check this thread out. It's more towards the cider side of things, but it sounds very interesting: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haigha View Post
oh yeah and in terms of hops. I've been trying to think of a hop that would lend itself well to the 'appleness' and really have been contemplating not hopping at all. Thoughts?
I wouldn't want ANY hop flavor or aroma in this beer, I would want the aroma and flavor to of the apples to shine through.

I would go with a low IBU beer, with the hops for bitterness only (as opposed to the recipe I posted) I would use a single addition at 60 minutes for bitterness.

Since the extract and honey in the recipe I posted has an OG 1.050 (not factoring in any apple juice you add to it....You'd have to look for the numbers on that.

I would go by this IBU/OG Chart and aim for slightly malty or evenly balanced beer.

In this case, for a balanced to slightly malty (no pronounced hop aroma or flavor) would be IBU's in the 20-25 Ibu range (like a typical BMC beer, except for that "triple hopped" beer )

And I would use a bittering only hop that didn't impart much hop characteristics...maybe the afore mentioned hallataurer.

But then most importantly to get the apple aroma in the beer, in addition to any juice/cider added, I would had a few ounces of apple peels at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and at flame out. Instead of hops....that you "lock in" some apple aroma...

I might also consider secondarying and "dry peeling" with some more peels...or rack onto some smashed apples, or a few tea bags of apple spiced tead (if you want some cinnamon/apple pie spice flavors) or all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
Also check this thread out. It's more towards the cider side of things, but it sounds very interesting: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/
Damn, I knew there was a term for this. I was racking my brain, and kept getting stuck on cysers..thanks for posting Graff info.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I only used like an ounce of cascades, both for bittering and flavor hops in mine. It's baaaarely thare, but it's good. I think using low-AA hops works really well, as you're not looking for a lot of character... just a little depth, and the preservative properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Damn, I knew there was a term for this. I was racking my brain, and kept getting stuck on cysers..thanks for posting Graff info.
You know what the craziest thing about that term is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalupagus View Post
To avoid any continual debate on the "cider" moniker for this recipie

I propose we call it something totally different...

Are any of you ladies and gents familiar with Steven King's
"Dark Tower" series of books?

anyway - in this series, in addition to common wines and beers a made up drink called "Graff" Graff is commonly served at bars and events. the only discription of it describes it as a "strong apple beer"
not a cider or wine, but a "beer" - evidently while being quite quaffable, it packs a bit of a punch, and Gunslingers (the protagonists of the series) tend to enjoy it in moderation because of this "sneak up and bite you" property of the drink.

I think we should name Brandon's invention Graff - as the ingredient list he has posted makes me think of this "strong apple beer" described in Steven Kings Series of books.

what do you think... wanna call it Graff?
When I first saw it called Graff (before reading the above quote) my first thought was the same as yours. It just sounds right.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Oh crap..you're right, I remember that term in the Dark Tower Books!

Cool!!! Another literary brew, to go along with Klingon Blood Ale, and the pumkin juice from Harry Potter.

Quick Reply