Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Anyone using a Universal Model 500?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
Gunshow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone using a Universal Model 500?

I was at the local hardware store today and they had several Universal Model 500 Grain Mills for sale.

Universal model 500 grain mill. by Universal, Universal Grain Mills at Goodman's Small Appliance & Housewares

I was wondering if anyone is using this model and had any feedback. The mill seemed simple and tough (weighs over 10 lbs) and the handle comes off very easily for mounting a drill.

"You can't grill it until you kill it." -Ted Nugent
Primary: Starsan
Secondary: Starsan
Bottled: American Hefeweizen, Duvel Clone, Coffee Porter, Pecan Smoked Brown Porter
Keg 1: Hickory Smoked Robust Porter, Keg 2: All Chinook IPA, Keg 3: German Hefeweizen, Keg 4: AIR

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I got a very similar unit for $16 + $8 delivery from "Discount Tommy" on eBay. These things are usually termed "Corona" mills (mine is a "Victoria"), but they all have "500" stamped on the side, and they all appear to originate in the same factory somewhere in Latin America, where this hunk o' iron is distributed & sold pretty widely.

Mine works, although I did some tinkering before I ever tried to use it. I commend you to this thread, which will give you a lot of good tips on using this mill:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-u...49/#post980682

Toward the end of this thread, I posted some pix of my milling setup.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Last edited by rico567; 07-06-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My "500" Corona style mill works very well. You just have to accept the fact that they are cheaply manufactured and need to be adjusted to provide a quality crush. If you have a reasonable amount of mechanical apptitude, these things can work real well, and once set they seem to stay that way. I run mine w/ a big a-- drill and hopper...link in sig.

If you are the type that expects your mill to run well "out of the box", you're better off getting a more expensive roller mill, aka Barley Crusher.

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 07-06-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply