Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Anyone here around Beaverton, OR? Mash pH question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
el_loco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Anyone here around Beaverton, OR? Mash pH question...

I'm in Beaverton OR and our water is generally great. My mash pH though seems to always be a tad high, like 5.7 ish. Anyone around me that has solution so I don't have to do as much trial and error? Any thoughts from anyone else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
hopdoc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/beav...stions-291693/

Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Well if you are trying to brew a pale beer with little crystal malt content, the resulting mash pH is not that surprising. Adding an acid is often required in that case. There are multiple ways of adding acidity...adding more calcium, performing an acid rest, adding acid malt, or adding a refined acid such as lactic or phosphoric. Visit the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water site to help figure out what is going on and how to attack it.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
el_loco
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've used Bru'n water but have not had the success with it that I'd like, certainly because water chemistry is a very deep topic and a little knowledge is more dangerous than it is helpful.

I'm considering doing a mini mash, say 5% of the recipe, the night before and taking pH readings. Then I could calculate addition of acid malt or lactic acid to the full grain bill?

Quick Reply