New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Anyone ever had a lag time longer than 2 days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
bjzelectric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Anyone ever had a lag time longer than 2 days?

So I made an IPA on 7/18/09. Used WLP001 Cali Ale Yeast. Made a starter on 7/16/09. I didnt notice any activity at all in my starter which I usually do even if its subtle. OK so I figured I just missed any signs this time around and went ahead and brewed with 75% efficiency and pitched. Well almost 48 hours later I have no signs whatsoever of fermentation. Airlock isnt bubbling, no krausen, and the temperature inside my glass carboy is 66 degrees still. I bought some yeast energizer but I know thats used for stuck ferms. So Im thinking if I still dont have fermentation for another 24 hours or so I will add some energizer or pitch a new batch of yeast. Any suggestions?

Hooray Beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
JacobInIndy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjzelectric View Post
So I made an IPA on 7/18/09. Used WLP001 Cali Ale Yeast. Made a starter on 7/16/09. I didnt notice any activity at all in my starter which I usually do even if its subtle. OK so I figured I just missed any signs this time around and went ahead and brewed with 75% efficiency and pitched. Well almost 48 hours later I have no signs whatsoever of fermentation. Airlock isnt bubbling, no krausen, and the temperature inside my glass carboy is 66 degrees still. I bought some yeast energizer but I know thats used for stuck ferms. So Im thinking if I still dont have fermentation for another 24 hours or so I will add some energizer or pitch a new batch of yeast. Any suggestions?
Have you taken a gravity reading?

Primary 1: Guardrail Pale Ale
Primary 2: Lake Vacation Wit
Primary 3: Air
Secondary:All my secondaries are currently primaries
Bottled/Conditioning: Riesling
Keg 1: Old Yeast
Keg 2: Old Yeast
Bottled & Drinking: Commercial Stuff
On Deck: Nada

Old 07-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
bjzelectric
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yea gravity is still the same @ 1.058

Hooray Beer!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know the rule is that it can take up to 72 hours. I have never had it take half that to start. Since you made a starter, and that wasn't showing good signs....

you may have dead yeast. If you have more yeast,I'd either pitch it, or at least get it ready for tomorrow.

The fact that you took another grav reading, nd it is same as brew day adds morefuel to the fire IMHO.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 07-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you see any sediment in the starter? Since I just cover my starters with foil, I hardly ever seem to have much krausen happen. But I check yeast viability of the starter by making sure there's more yeast sediment in the bottom then what started off in the liquid yeast.

Aeration is the only other component (aside from yeast count and temperature) that I've noticed effects the time fermentation takes off. You can always pick up another vial of this yeast for safe measure.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
bjzelectric
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thats what I was thinkin too. Its just weird b/c I did see a good bit of sediment. I cover my starters with foil also and still get a little krausen usually. My aeration technique is the simple vigorous shake preceded by a 3' wort waterfall from keggle to carboy and Ive never had a problem.

Hooray Beer!

Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #7
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjzelectric View Post
My aeration technique is the simple vigorous shake preceded by a 3' wort waterfall from keggle to carboy and Ive never had a problem.
I can't really speak from experience: I actually started using an O2 tank right as I also got into AG. So I don't know if AG needs more aerating then extract....the main thing I did notice about it vs vigorous mixing I did before: my ferments did seem to have much shorter lag times. Now that I stay pretty consistant with starters and O2, my ferments usually take off within 3 hours. But if you've done a few AG brews with your method of aerating, then maybe something with yeast viability....if you're willing to pay the extra for another vial of yeast, there's not much harm re-pitching if fermentation doesn't start soon.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Quick Reply