Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > anyone done a brew in a bag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #31
ShinyBuddha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I smell troll....or is that hops. The signal to noise ratio is getting outta hand in here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #32
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

It doesn't sound like anyone is really considering the viability of what you're proposing, which surprises me a little. Maybe it'll be awful, but maybe it won't. I've done a hop-bursted beer where I didn't put any hops in until 5 minutes, so you can get some utilization with just a few minutes. I assume if you boil for one minute, you might have the hops in there during the ramp-up and ramp-down stages which might mean as much as 20 minutes or more in hot liquid, which is plenty of time for bitterness, especially if you're doing a bock. I'd be a little concerned that in order to sterilize water, we're told to boil for at least 15 minutes, so any less time than that and you might find infection is a problem. DMS is less of a problem if you're not using Pilsner malt, or even extract. So if you're intent on this, you might have to pay careful attention to your style, and why a short boil might enhance that style. I don't think "freshness" is diminished through boiling, and especially if you're using extract. I suspect if you want a raw taste, you just want to use barley as lightly kilned as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #33
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

barley as lightly kilned as possible? is there a name for that? i'm doing all grain btw

it doesn't surprise me that no one is considering the viability. they're all old timers here. they no doubt have tons of knowledge and wisdom. less so ideas

i might not be able to get 30 ibu reasonably on a 1 min boil, but i can on 3 min

as for DMS, the document that i was linked to never described definitively how much there is or how much of a problem it is. So I don't see the problem in giving this a try

Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #34
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
I smell troll....or is that hops. The signal to noise ratio is getting outta hand in here.

No trolling here. I just became a little irreverent when I picked up on the presumptions and tenor of some of the replies.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #35
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
You could make a Berliner Weiss,.... If you are interested in what the effects of a minimal boil would be, that would be one way to find out.
thanks!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #36
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid View Post

it doesn't surprise me that no one is considering the viability. they're all old timers here. they no doubt have tons of knowledge and wisdom. less so ideas
There's no reason to assume that people who are experienced are short of ideas. Just because they presented a number of very reasonable concerns does not mean they're stick-in-the-mud fuddy duddies. They're trying to help. I don't think insulting people who are trying to help is the best plan, but you may disagree.

I mean, I could call brewing a beer using tomato soup for mash water and fermenting at 120 degrees an idea, but it doesn't mean that people shouldn't point out why that might be a problem.

Quote:
i might not be able to get 30 ibu reasonably on a 1 min boil, but i can on 3 min
You certainly can. You will end up with tons of hop aroma and flavor, which may be exactly what you want, and depending on style, could be awesome. You may potentially end up with some vegetal notes just based on the large amount of hopping, but maybe not.

Quote:
as for DMS, the document that i was linked to never described definitively how much there is or how much of a problem it is. So I don't see the problem in giving this a try
No one told you not to try it. They gave you reasons why it might not work. DMS is one of them. Depending on the beer you make, it may not be an issue at all. The stronger the flavors in your beer (including the massive hop flavor discussed above), the less likely you are to notice DMS.

While I agree that "its always been done this way" is not the end all and be all as far as how things should be done, its worth considering that there's typically a reason why things are done as they are. If microbreweries felt they could cut 55 minutes off each batch by doing a 5 minute boil, they would have a financial incentive to do so. However, I don't believe any of them are (none that I know if). So while its possible that you have come up with a brilliant plan, it seems more likely that some of the concerns others have raised explain why its not done commercially.

But certainly, good luck with your endeavor. I, for one, would be quite curious to hear how it turns out.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #37
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid
Just trying to get a fresher more raw taste.
Then just grind up a bunch of grain, sprinkle some hop pellets on top add some milk and call it breakfast cereal

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #38
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

bailey's imo

Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #39
madchemist83
Recipes 

U can probably do it with supercritical water. Just add some boson lasers and u got urself perfect system. I can see advertisement in near future "From grain to glass in an hour". But seriously ... Why? What's the point of 1 min boil? Maybe do 10 hour boil .. See how that works out for ya

Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #40
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

In the interest of civility...; To the OP, I presume if you tinkered with the recipie you probably could approximate a reasonable beer doing a 1 minute boil. As stated above, you'd have to adjust the hops, and proteins would be much higer along with the DMS issue. Perhaps this could be solved by adjusting the grain bill? I suggest you do a few and see how it works for you. Personally, I believe that the process used for hundreds of years is probably a good place for a novice like me to start, But hey, there was a babylonian somehere that left some grains out in a jar, they go rained on and then baked in the sun. Fermentation took place and the rest is history. Perhaps if that babylonian had instead left that same jar on a fire for a while, we'd be brewing in an entirely different manner. Pleasee let us know what your results were

Quick Reply