Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > anyone done a brew in a bag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #21
madchemist83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If u trying to get fresher and more raw taste why dont just chew on some grains and hops ? Just chase it with a shot of vodka and u good to go .. Making yogurt or something ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #22
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid
I was asking if anyone has done it.
I sure haven't. For all the reasons listed in previous posts. I think something like a 30 minute boil could be viable, as long as there's no pilsner malt. But I don't have enough interest in saving that time to give it a whirl.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #23
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Is this where I am supposed to feel meek and inferior now?

Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid View Post
Of course not. No one is trying to make you feel meek and inferior. You asked a question, and experienced brewers answered. More than once.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #25
danielbt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Driving without tires, that's cool right?

Anyhow, boiling the wort and hops causes all sorts of good chemical reactions that lead to good beer. Yeast will grow in whatever, so do your 1 minute boil and see what you get.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #26
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It would probably work, and you'd most certainly make beer however bad it would taste. The methods most of us use are brewing procedures handed down over hundreds of years, tried and true methods to make the best beer possible. Occasionally a new method will be developed, but honestly can't see this being one of them. I'd suggest trying it, it can at the very least be a learning experience.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #27
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have considered something along those lines, when making 1 gallon batches, but had to reconsider due to the hops utilization. I was thinking of it mainly because of the boil loss. I had thought maybe I could cut down my boil time as it was a small batch and could except for the chemistry (hops, dme etc) involved. My first attempt at a one gallon batch ended badly as I didn't realize that once it starts boiling, it doesn't matter if you are boiling 1 gallon or 10, the boil-off rate is the same.
Try a 30 minute boil and see how it works, maybe it will be drinkable, maybe not, but if it ain't very good think how bad it might be if cut back by 59 minutes. Heck, I did a 60 minute boil on what should have been 90 minutes and didn't like the results, there are timetables for a reason, far more complicated than I can explain, I just take them as gospel now and try to make better beer.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #28
jmtwo
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid View Post
Were you expecting to be told that you're a genius, and why didn't anyone think of this before?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #29
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtwo

Were you expecting to be told that you're a genius, and why didn't anyone think of this before?
+1 to this. And nobody played off the "You don't want a melted or burned sack." Post?

Personally, I don't want either. I'd say its your brew, do what you want. But personally, if I wanted to save time, I'd reduce to a 30 min. Boil vs. a 1 min. Boil first to see how it turned out.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #30
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

You could make a Berliner Weiss, in which you don't actually have to boil the wort at all in some cases and hops aren't really an issue. If you are interested in what the effects of a minimal boil would be, that would be one way to find out.

Quick Reply