Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Any tips on how to brew a higher gravity beer than your mash tun will allow?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany
Yep, I'd just add DME for this. It's the easiest way to get that gravity boost for those final few points, and in a big beer like a RIS, those few pounds of DME won't change your flavor profile as it might in a beer that requires low mash temps.
Exactly this, use the needed amount of DME to replace the base grain. Quality wont suffer one bit. I think a majority of the barleywine finalists in a homebrew competition used atleast some DME as they had the same problem you did.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Exactly this, use the needed amount of DME to replace the base grain. Quality wont suffer one bit. I think a majority of the barleywine finalists in a homebrew competition used atleast some DME as they had the same problem you did.
+1. I'd go with either a small batch (my personal preference) or DME. For a barleywine, there is so much flavor and odd stuff going on that you won't notice if it's a n extract batch in the least.

But if you want to try the magic wand, I think Morebeer has them. I was going to pick one up last year, but I went with a March Pump instead. Kind of regretting it now.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You can do I believe it is called an interative mash. I did it once and was quite pleased.

Basically you divide your grain in half and mash one half to start. Use a little less water than normal. After conversion, drain this off (no extra water), and then do a small sparge. Clean out your mash tun, add the rest of the grain, and use the wort from the first half of the grain to mash in the rest of the grain. Proceed as normal.

A nice advantage of doing this is you end up with a smaller volume to boil down to hit your target SG. Your efficiency will suffer a little, but it wasn't that much when I did it.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
dbhokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts