Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Any tips for Hop Head DIPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Any tips for Hop Head DIPA?

I am going to be brewing a Hop Head DIPA in the next couple weeks and I am looking for some help on how to go about it perfectly. Are my temperatures correct for this style beer...or should I be somewhere else?

EDIT: This is my new schedule

As of right now, I have as follows:

- Mash at 152 (1 hour)
-1.25 water/grain ratio
-15 pounds of grain (14lbs 2 row, 4oz aromatic, 12oz caramel 60)
-18.8 quarts at 164 degrees

Set for an hour and get strike water ready.

- Mash out/Batch Sparge (10-15 minutes)
-8.3 qts @ 210 degrees

- Boil for 60 minutes
-Hop Additions as scheduled

This allows for 5.3 gallon first runnings, and 8.3 (or 2.125 gallons roughly) for batch sparging/mashing out. Given I lose a 1-1.5qt at mash out, I will have a second running of 6.8-7.3 qts addition to the hopeful 5.3 gallon first runnings. That = 5.3 + 1.5-1.75 gallons total, so 6.8 - 7 gallons at boil.

Here is my question though, the calculator I am using is setting it up as a 7.4 gallon boil. This can't happen. I don't know why the boil is larger...but it is. How do I downsize to a 5 gallon batch?

I am using this calculator.
http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/all_grain_how_to.htm (Step 3)

There may be some place on the calculator to account for this...but I am missing it. Can somone possibly look it over for me?

PS: It's quite possible that these are made to be a slightly larger batch than the extract kits, but I don't remember that being the case.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Hoping someone can help me out with this.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

158 is awfully high. I think for a DIPA, you want to make sure that the body ends up being pretty lean and that it ferments to be fairly dry and crisp - otherwise you're going to end up with something with a high FG that is going to be like an American barleywine.

Here's what I did on my second to last brew, which just happens to be a DIPA. I kegged this after 10 days and my early samples of it have been phenomenal. I'm trying it again tonight to see how the carbonation is coming along.

14 lbs 2-row
12 oz caramunich
1 lb honey @ flameout - this will dry it out, corn sugar will have a similar effect

My mash was 152° and my mash out/sparge was the same temp as yours

The 7.4 gallon boil isn't TOO crazy, depending on your burner. I actually probably started off with 7.4 gallons preboil, but it was because I switched to basically a BIAB method mid-sparge-disaster and collected more wort than I intended. Due to this, I ended up with more like 5.5 gallons post-boil and my OG was a little low. My system reliably boils off 2 gallons in an hour, so I start with 7.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Burgs
Recipes 

Also, I know you didn't get into your hop schedule on this post, but I am digging the combo of Warrior for bittering + Amarillo & Simcoe late in the boil. I shot for 90ish IBUs.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

My concern is that I only have a 7 gallon turkey fryer pot. Therefore...literally not enough room. Is there some way to effectively top off in the carboy after boiling with all-grain like there is extract? I may can source a larger pot as well, but i'm looking for options to keep it manageable in what I have on hand.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
mikeho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

You could do a couple things. Start your boil, with the wort you've collected before you sparge, then after you've boiled off enough, top off with the wort from the sparge. Don't start your timer until you're 60 min away from your targeted final volume, based on your boil off rate. Or, you could split the batch and do most of it in your 7 gal kettle, and the rest in a 2 gal pot on the stove. I'm all about keeping it to what is on hand.

Primary: Simcoe APA, Smoked Porter
Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Burgs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
My concern is that I only have a 7 gallon turkey fryer pot. Therefore...literally not enough room. Is there some way to effectively top off in the carboy after boiling with all-grain like there is extract? I may can source a larger pot as well, but i'm looking for options to keep it manageable in what I have on hand.
Sure, that won't hurt anything. If you could get 6 gallons in there, maybe try out Fermcap to keep the foam down, and use a little top off water at the end, you'll be fine.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Burgs
Recipes 

I would still drop that mash temp though, for sure.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I wasn't 100% sure on the temp, so I will definitely do that. I will look into a FermCap.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Burgs
Recipes 

I'm drinking a small glass of my DIPA right now and it's a hop bomb... I think it will actually get a bit more intense though, as I've got 6 oz of leaf hops in the keg & it's only been kegged for a week. It's at serving temperatures too, so it's extracting the goodness slowly. I'm nursing and babying this keg so it lasts a while... so tasty though. My burps taste like hop resin!

Quick Reply