New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Any tips for a first time Lager brew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #61
Prymal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, I got the yeast starter going this morning waited about 4 hours and there was a thick krausen sitting on top of the wort so I pitched it into my Pilsner. The yeast appears to be working purely due to co2 off gassing that wasnt occuring before it pitched the krausened starter. I am headed to San Diego on Tuesday so I'll let the yeast do its thing until then at which point i'll pull a sample and decide whether to chill and carb or let it keep working.

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:
Fermenting: Desert Basin Pale Ale, Ninkasi Tricerihops Clone
Bottled: Desert Knight RIS, Scottish Winter Warmer
Kegged: Cleaning out the closet Porter
Gallons Brewed 2013: 15
Gallons Brewed 2012: 90.0
Gallons Brewed 2011: 77.5

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #62
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, Butter flavor seems to be gone atleast significantly reduced, but now I have a very strong Green apple nose. Should I just let this age even longer at room temp or should I start the lager process all over again?

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:

Old 07-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #63
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prymal View Post
OK, Butter flavor seems to be gone atleast significantly reduced, but now I have a very strong Green apple nose. Should I just let this age even longer at room temp or should I start the lager process all over again?
Sounds like acetaldehyde,which is a sign of incomplete fermentation. Give it time to ferment out, then start the lagering process again.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #64
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

Sounds like acetaldehyde,which is a sign of incomplete fermentation. Give it time to ferment out, then start the lagering process again.
That is what I thought. I'll leave it until I get back from san diego on the 23rd.
Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:

Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #65
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Put the Pilsner in the fridge on July 25th after opening the keg and smelling the beer, I didn't detect any acetaldehyde in the sample I pulled so I thought I was safe. I just pulled at pint on 8/4 and get a massive smack of green apple on the nose. Since I krausened with Nottingham should I expect that acetaldehyde flavor to subside through a longer lagering process. The beer itself actually tastes between ok to good (It's not undrinkable). Most of the diacetyl is gone if not all of it, I need to have my wife taste it she is much more sensitive to the flavor then I am (she can detect diacetyl in a commercial white wine that has only touched oak for 3 days). I really just want more saaz hops, should I dry hop this beer just bring out that Saaz aroma?

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:

Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #66
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am curious if anyone thinks the green apple will go away. It has been lagering since July 25th sure not too long but I figured the green apple would go away. It seems to be getting stronger. Any thoughts?

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:

Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #67
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hey there,

I wanted to report to you on my hard water lager (boPils). The bitter is accentuated in an odd way that isn't working for the beer right now so I am continuing to lager (started lagering 6/23). Basically I will try to wait it out but it looks like I won't be chasing bopils very often if this doesn't clean up. Sucks that I may have to use distilled to get a good bopils lager. I am really hoping it doesn't affect my marzen lager I put in the chamber last week.

As for the green apple I am not sure if it will age out as I have no experience with it. Hoping someone will post.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply