Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Any tips for a first time Lager brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #51
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Generally when you do what you describe it's called "priming with gyle" and actively fermenting wort is not used. But there are variations on the technique.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #52
blacksailj
Recipes 

I know, there are a ton of variations to every step of brewing and most work well one way another. When I worked at a brewery and was give the cask duties & we always used fermenting wort/gyle to prime our bright beer. That was the method used and worked flawlessly. That's where I learned this equation. Another method for this would be know your yeast an attenuation rate, do the math and package it at the right moment that when it finishes it will have produced the correct volumes. I find the other way much easier.

As for adding fermenting wort to clean up byproducts like diacteyl, I just got done reading a book from a brewer writen in the early 1800s and they did this to every batch wheater it needed it or not, but added the fermenting gyle right before it hit terminal gravity.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #53
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Based on my experience, a qt. of actively fermenting wort should be a good amount. If you have a choice, use a lager yeast. If not, oh well.....
Thanks, I'll give this a go over the weekend. I am currently bringing the beer up to room temp and purging the co2. I'll update in a few weeks with the results.
Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:
Fermenting: Desert Basin Pale Ale, Ninkasi Tricerihops Clone
Bottled: Desert Knight RIS, Scottish Winter Warmer
Kegged: Cleaning out the closet Porter
Gallons Brewed 2013: 15
Gallons Brewed 2012: 90.0
Gallons Brewed 2011: 77.5

Old 07-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #54
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, I have the starter going but how long do I wait to pitch it into my Pilsner? 1 quart starter with 1 packet of Nottingham.

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:

Old 07-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #55
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Wait til you think it's about at high krausen, then pitch it.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #56
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3337 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2846

FYI I've made pilsners with that Rahr 1-row (is it the 1.7L stuff?) Came out as an almost perfect bopils. I did not use any other malt. Wyeast 2001 Pils Urquell. I've made several batches. I didn't get any diacetyl, but then I don't think I can taste diacetyl.

I've got an identical batch with Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner fermenting now for comparison. I've done a protien rest with all my pilsners at 120F. This new batch is split between 2001 and W34/70.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #57
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
FYI I've made pilsners with that Rahr 1-row (is it the 1.7L stuff?) Came out as an almost perfect bopils. I did not use any other malt. Wyeast 2001 Pils Urquell. I've made several batches. I didn't get any diacetyl, but then I don't think I can taste diacetyl.

I've got an identical batch with Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner fermenting now for comparison. I've done a protien rest with all my pilsners at 120F. This new batch is split between 2001 and W34/70.
report back on your impressions. I'm curious how the 34/70 dry yeast compares, it would be nice to save money for my next Bo Pils if the results are good.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #58
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

34/70 is the most popular lager strain in the world so it has a fantastic track record if pitched properly at the right temps.

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:

Old 07-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #59
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prymal View Post
34/70 is the most popular lager strain in the world so it has a fantastic track record if pitched properly at the right temps.
this is true, but sometimes the process of making a strain dry will slightly alter the yeast. I have used 34/70 in darker lagers and it was fine but there are stronger malt flavors to hide off tastes that a yeast may throw off. In a very light beer like a BO Pils there is not much to hide a slight odd flavor.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #60
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Wait til you think it's about at high krausen, then pitch it.
Well that was a waste of a packet of yeast. There was just the smallest layer of krausen when I went to bed and it had totally dropped out and finished fermenting by the time i woke up. I guess I try again earlier in the morning so that I can monitor more closely.
Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:

Quick Reply