New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Any point to boiling AG?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #21
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure Berliner Weisse is not boiled, but it's the only example I've heard of and is apparently quite a sour beer. I do think it is held at a high, but sub-boiling temperature long enough to kill of most micros.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #22
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sause
Also to add to what everyone has said, AA's have to have something to hold on to, you can get away with small amounts in water but to hold anything really above 35-40 you need to have some gravity to the process. Besides balencing out the beer there is a reason for gravities being so high on IIPA's and such. To hold all the IBU's that a person would want in those beers you need a heck of alot of GU's.

Huh

Seriously, everything I've read says that high gravity hinders the release of alpha acids from hops. So from that, I assumed that low gravity (eg, water) would be the ideal carrier for alpha acids...

Is that wrong?

Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #23
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Huh

Seriously, everything I've read says that high gravity hinders the release of alpha acids from hops. So from that, I assumed that low gravity (eg, water) would be the ideal carrier for alpha acids...

Is that wrong?
You're correct...lower gravity worts will have more capacity for alpha acids than higher gravity worts. I think perhaps what sause was getting at is that as your IBU's go up, you need more gravity/GU's to balance the flavor. But I'm still working on my first coffee

Old 03-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #24
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
This was just posted by AdIN in another thread... seems relevant to this one as well:
Minor correction to that post, diacetyl is a fermentation byproduct and will not be present in your wort. He was probably thinking of DMS.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 861 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't know where the heck I read it but one study showed that lower gravity pulled more alpha out of the hops in a given time period but the maximum IBU actually goes up in higher gravity worts (with no consideration for time or quantity of hops added). If someone remembers reading what I'm talking about, post the link please.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply