Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Any point to boiling AG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Full boil is critical to all grain brewing. It is needed for numerous reasons, everything from hot break, to killing bacteria, hop utilization and the elimination of unwanted volitiles. To skip a boil is asking for cloudy, beer, with no hop character. Personally I don't think that sounds too tasty.

Always boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
...and the elimination of unwanted volitiles
DMS being one of the major ones...and the reason you don't want to boil with the lid on.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

And won't hop utilization be a big factor here too? You aren't going to get the hop character in a tea.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #14
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is kinda funny. You'd think that, after thousands of years of evolution, the practice of brewing beer would have ferreted out most of the unnecessary elements of brewing. People think way too much about how to shortcut this process; those thousands of years of evolution have certainly exposed most of the shortcuts and then tested them ad nauseum, technological equipment developments notwithstanding. Little things here and there save you time, but cutting out a huge step like boiling your wort is not something that would have gone unnoticed this long.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There has been boiling of beer/wort for hundreds if not thousands of years. In my opinion You are asking for trouble. Lets not try and re-invent the wheel.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #16
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Plus...you do away with a good full-kettle boil, you've just eliminated the fun part. If I can't do my wort-boil dance, I don't feel complete...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #17
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
This is kinda funny. You'd think that, after thousands of years of evolution, the practice of brewing beer would have ferreted out most of the unnecessary elements of brewing. People think way too much about how to shortcut this process; those thousands of years of evolution have certainly exposed most of the shortcuts and then tested them ad nauseum, technological equipment developments notwithstanding. Little things here and there save you time, but cutting out a huge step like boiling your wort is not something that would have gone unnoticed this long.

Blind adherence to rules versus questioning them. There are many things, thousands of years old, that get discussed, not because the answer is unclear, but because getting to the answer is enlightening.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #18
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Blind adherence to rules versus questioning them. There are many things, thousands of years old, that get discussed, not because the answer is unclear, but because getting to the answer is enlightening.
I never said we should unquestioningly follow directions and tradition just for the sake of it. There's plenty of religious folk who can fill THAT role quite easily . Hell, I do a few things myself that aren't traditional practices, but save me time and/or effort. All I was saying was that it is sort of amusing to me when someone questions the necessity of one of, if not THE, biggest parts of the process. It's called "brewing", and they question the "brew" part. Like I said, don't get me wrong; I'm all for questioning traditional methodology in an attempt to evolve and improve the process...and I meant no disrespect whatsoever. But it wouldn't really be brewing with the "brew"...no-boil kits notwithstanding.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #19
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Aren't no-boil kits child's play? No offense intended...

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #20
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Also to add to what everyone has said, AA's have to have something to hold on to, you can get away with small amounts in water but to hold anything really above 35-40 you need to have some gravity to the process. Besides balencing out the beer there is a reason for gravities being so high on IIPA's and such. To hold all the IBU's that a person would want in those beers you need a heck of alot of GU's.

Quick Reply