Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Any difference between extract partial boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
GIusedtoBe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Any difference between extract partial boil

and full boil extract other than hop utilization? Do you get the same issues w/ darkening/caramelization etc. I just did my first AG and had lots of fun and but I have lots of extract on hand and was wondering about doing an extract full boil brew. The other option is saving all of my DME for starters.

Regards,
Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

My understanding is that a full extract boil not only increases hops utilizationo, but also prevents carmelization of the wort and gives better results. I had only done a couple of full boils with extract, but I do remember being pleased with the results.

You can always use DME for starters, like you mentioned, and also save some for your first few AGs. If your efficiency is bad, you could use DME to bring the OG up where it needs to be. Also, I would consider doing a PM and using extract along with a full boil for best results in an extract brew.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Yooper thanks for the reply. I hit 1.053 on my first AG that was supposed to be 1.057 so I was fairly pleased with that for my first one. I think i could knock out an extract batch on my new kettle etc pretty quickly to refill some kegs. I was just wondering if typical extract probs went away w/ full boils.

I've never done a PM so I'll probably stay away from that since I'd have to learn a whole new process.

Thanks again,
Al

Old 08-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIusedtoBe View Post
Hey Yooper thanks for the reply. I hit 1.053 on my first AG that was supposed to be 1.057 so I was fairly pleased with that for my first one. I think i could knock out an extract batch on my new kettle etc pretty quickly to refill some kegs. I was just wondering if typical extract probs went away w/ full boils.

I've never done a PM so I'll probably stay away from that since I'd have to learn a whole new process.

Thanks again,
Al
Of course it's up to you, but a PM isn't a whole new process at all. It's just using some DME to bring up the fermentables, instead of only grain. So, you could do an extract or AG recipe with the steeping grains and some 2-row, and then use DME for the majority of the fermentables. I used to just put the grains in a big grain bag to do that. You can use up the DME, but have better tasting beer because of using grains as well. Just a thought!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-27-2008, 04:18 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In addition to Yooper's comments I recommend Extra Light DME as a base malt for EVERYONE...

Quick Reply