Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Any benefit to multi-step mashing rye?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyH
I don't think I have ever had a beer with Rye in it, it sounds very interesting. Can anyone suggest a good commercial beer with rye in it. If I like the taste I may try brewing one.

Thanks
There aren't many that I've seen; if you can get your hands on Hop Rod Rye, do so.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
EmptyH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
There aren't many that I've seen; if you can get your hands on Hop Rod Rye, do so.
The store near my house has quite a few odd-ball microbrews I will look for that one this weekend. Thanks

Primary-Hefe
Secondary-Stout
Bottled- Vanilla Stout
Drinking- English Brown Ale, Amber Belgian Ale

Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Don't expect the obvious rye bread taste. The bread usually has a lot of caraway seed flavor. Rye beer without the caraway has another layer of flavor, a 'spiciness'. Rye was all I did for my first 12 batchs of AG. Add a pound of rice hulls for 2# of rye in the mash. I made brown rye. Lightly hopped. Spicy Newcastles. Been brewin Fat Ass Tired latley, maybe I ought to try some Wryse Ass Tired?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Quick Reply