New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another one bites the dust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
fata2683
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another one bites the dust

Just finished up my 4th all grain. They just seem to get easier and easier. This was my first time using anything other that barley(I was making a wit.) I'm glad I read up on here to put some rice in to keep the mash from sticking. Boy was it hard to stir. It felt like I was mixing cement. Also my first time doing a protein rest and then raising the mash temp. Overall it went perfect, all temps were spot on. I didn't make a starter because I didn't even plan on brewing today it just kind of happened. You have to take advantage of the few sunny German days. I didn't use bitter orange because the place I order from was out so I used about half of an orange peel and dried it in the oven at a low temp for about 4 hours until it was dry. Hope that works ok. Anyway, just thought I would rant before heading to bed. Hopefully I wake up to some bubbles in the airlock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
Rhino17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fata2683 View Post
I'm glad I read up on here to put some rice in to keep the mash from sticking. Boy was it hard to stir.
Just for clarification, you meant rice hulls, correct? Something tells me that rice would be a little too absorbent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply