Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another Newbie Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
TAK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Another Newbie Question

I just got my AG setup, and I've never used an immersion chiller before. I got a 50 ft coil with garden hose fittings. My question is, when and how do most of you here on HBT connect the in and out hoses?

I'm probably over thinking this, but I figure it's better to have a plan. If I put the hoses on before it goes in to the boil for 15 min, does the heat from the burner get the hose, or does the hose draping over the side get in the way? If I put the hoses on after the boil, how do you get them on when the coil is hot? If you use quick connects to make it easier to connect the hoses to a hot coil, don't they usually have plastic which might melt?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Are you saying the hoses aren't connected to the ends of the copper tubing? Mine were mounted when I bought it. All you do is hook one end to a garden hose and the other hose just hang out of your kettle. Typically we drop our chillers in at the last 15 minutes of the boil to sterilize it, but you already have everything hooked up.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
TAK
Recipes 

The hose fittings are there, but not the hoses. I just wasnt sure if convention is to screw in the hoses and drop the coil in for 15, or to drop the coil in for 15 and then screw (or quick connect) the hoses.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
conneryis007
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would attach them first, drape them out of the way of the burner heat, cook the coils for the last ~15 minutes of the boil, turn heat off, turn water on...chill

The connections of the hoses are above where the water/wort line will be right?!?!

Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
TAK
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneryis007 View Post
The connections of the hoses are above where the water/wort line will be right?!?!
Correct. So, I'll drape the hose over during the last 15 of the boil. I just wasn't sure about the heat; never used a 72,000 BTU burner before!

Quick Reply