New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another mash screwup. Strike water temp...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
bstacy1974
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Another mash screwup. Strike water temp...

is driving me crazy. I'm only two brews in to homebrewing. First brew turned out great, IMO. It was a Mild partial mash. 4.5lbs of grain with 1.5lbs of extract added late in the boil. I was aiming for a mash temp of 155F , but underestimated how much the temp would drop with the 50F grain. Ended up mashing at 150F. No big deal, right.
So, Saturday night, I brewed an Amber recipe I created with Brewtarget, using some other amber recipes as a guide. 8lbs of grain, 1.8lbs of extract, late addition in boil.
This time, I actually looked up strike water estimated temp, 168.9F. Strike water was right between 168 and 170 on my thermometer. I poured the water into the mash tun, checked the temp....162F!!! I rolled with it.
Now, I'm worried that my beer is ruined. I do have fermentation (S-05), but is my beer going to be too sweet because of the high temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
162F!!! I rolled with it.
Nothing wrong with dropping a few ice cubes in next time. It's not 'ruined'.

You did use 8 lbs of grain when calculating strike temp right? You don't factor in the extract.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
RMitch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That temp is fine. The grain brings the temperature of the water down anyways.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Also, be sure to really mix the grain and water together thoroughly. It's surprising how it actually takes a few minutes for the grain to become fully saturated with water and for the mixture to equalize in temp. Before you start tossing in frozen water bottles or boiling hot water, mix mix mix some more, wait a few minutes, and take a couple of temperature readings. Sometimes your thermometer hits a hot/cold spot. A few minutes at too low/high a temp won't ruin your batch.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

next time just add some cold water or ice cubes. Stir and recheck. Mash temp accuracy is really important and will change your beer greatly one way or the other. I use the tool on Brew365 (google it). Make sure to preheat your mashtun or mashing vessel so it doesn't lose a bunch of heat initially. Stir it up real well. take a temp. if its way off adjust with hot or cold water. If its close, put the lid on for 5 mins and then check the temp again 5 mins later. If its close after 5 mins, leave it be.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
bstacy1974
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
Nothing wrong with dropping a few ice cubes in next time. It's not 'ruined'.

You did use 8 lbs of grain when calculating strike temp right? You don't factor in the extract.
Didn't factor extract. Just the grain.

I did mix well, but only took one reading at the very beginning. Dang. What a newb!
I had two guys "helping" me brew, so I was busy talking to them. I don't remember taking a reading after mashing either. Oh well, I'll wait and see. Its a learning process.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah I hear you. Nice to have company on brew day.................... except for when you are actually brewing. Then they just seem to be in the way and a distraction. Let alone them chugging all your beer while you work.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
Yeah I hear you. Nice to have company on brew day.................... except for when you are actually brewing. Then they just seem to be in the way and a distraction. Let alone them chugging all your beer while you work.
Agreed.

Company is helpful when they know a thing or two about brewing on your rig. Cleaning out emptied mash tuns, rigging up the chiller etc really can shorten a brew day. The rest of 'em end up underfoot or neglected by the brewing host, unfortunately.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
bstacy1974
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

They're good guys, but I couldn't trust them with the boil. They did come in handy with the manual Corona Mill!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 AM   #10
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
This time, I actually looked up strike water estimated temp, 168.9F. Strike water was right between 168 and 170 on my thermometer. I poured the water into the mash tun, checked the temp....162F!!! I rolled with it.
What do you mean you looked it up? 162 before you add the grain, probably dropped you to 154-156 which is good for an Amber. I see most people took you to mean your mash temp was 162, but from what I read, your pre-mash water in the MLT was 162.

Quick Reply