Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another LHBS Rant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #21
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Anyone in the Albany, NY area - Hennessy Homebrew Emporium They'll sell you a 55-lb bag of base malt walking in off the street. Hell, they'll mill it for you, no problem whatsoever, if you want.

The homebrew place in Northampton, MA? They act like they're doing you a favor if they mill you 10lbs of base malt without phoning the order in ahead of time. Usually I haven't finalized my recipe (or decided which one to brew) until I'm in the car going over the mountain.... plus freakin' $3 dry yeast... but hey, at least they're always closed when I'm in town, so I never have the opportunity to waste money there...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #22
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEd
I hear you. I drove 30 mins to the LHBS here in salt lake and got there at 6:29 when they close at 6:30. And low and behold they dont open the door and pretend to not see me. Ok I know understandable they need to close.... did I mention it was to buy a new vial of yeast to replace the one they sold me that bombed in the starter
That would piss me off to no end. I'll call them up and ream them out.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #23
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

The thing about LHBS's ordering stuff is that anyone can order from morebeer or AHBS and probably get it for less. There's no way the LHBS is going to be able to compete unless they can give you the one thing the internet bigboys can't--the ability to purchase something today, right now.

I guess some of these places must figure there is no way they can keep 20 different malts on hand and fresh, so they just punt and stock malt extracts and a few specialty grains.

It's got to be a pretty tough business to make money in, actually.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 AM   #24
greg75

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer
EDIT: you prolly didn't know it was me- I was ablrbrau back then, I have since changed my handle and you prolly didn't know. BTW I haven't seen you around the site in awhile- where you been????
Yes, I remember you now...I thought maybe I had located another local. And, yes, you definitely were the one that pointed me in that direction.

I've been MIA partly because of my wife's work hours changing, and me doing a lot more of the Mr. Mom thing, along with my own fulltime job. But, mainly, the weather's been kind of uncooperative since I got all my AG equipment in order. Literally the day I bought my chiller and keggle thermometer, is when winter finally started. Now that spring's finally here, I'm going to attempt my first AG this weekend, assuming nothing earth-shattering happens between now and then. I got all the grains on Friday, so I'm all ready to go, but thought it would be the perfect time to get some last second AG pointers.

It's good to be back!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
The thing about LHBS's ordering stuff is that anyone can order from morebeer or AHBS and probably get it for less. There's no way the LHBS is going to be able to compete unless they can give you the one thing the internet bigboys can't--the ability to purchase something today, right now.

I guess some of these places must figure there is no way they can keep 20 different malts on hand and fresh, so they just punt and stock malt extracts and a few specialty grains.

Actually, since it's so easy to buy online I think the only way a LHBS can compete is by being the BEST in customer service. And give good advice, born of experience. That's why I'll drive to Appleton when I can- 5 hours by car roundtrip. For the expert advice, the recipe books he has there, the samples, and the customer service. I can go in to buy $20 worth, but leave with $100 worth of stuff. (Or lots more, but don't tell my husband!)

Maybe a small LHBS can't carry 20 different malts and keep them fresh- but they can keep basics and offer substitutions if possible. That's something I'd willing pay more for.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #26
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
Actually, since it's so easy to buy online I think the only way a LHBS can compete is by being the BEST in customer service. And give good advice, born of experience. That's why I'll drive to Appleton when I can- 5 hours by car roundtrip. For the expert advice, the recipe books he has there, the samples, and the customer service. I can go in to buy $20 worth, but leave with $100 worth of stuff. (Or lots more, but don't tell my husband!)
I can see that--I've never had a decent LHBS, so I've never relied on them for advice (I get that here, mostly). It just seems like such a niche market: no wonder most of these places combine HB supplies with other businesses. It'd be a great business for a retired military person or something, I guess: you get to deal with the hobby you love and maybe make a little coin.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #27
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I guess I've never realized it, but I am lucky to have a LHBS in town, a 4 minute drive away. If that doesn't work, there are 3 more within 45 minute or so drive from my house.

I STILL end up buying a lot of equipment online or through eBay- even with shipping included, it can be cheaper than my primary LHBS

Old 03-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #28
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston

That may be mostly true, but one of the LHBS in CO Springs had better prices for ingredients than any place I've seen online (some equip may be higher). Sometimes they were out of one thing or another, but there's always a substitute, and you end up trying something new which I never mind.

Plus I loved going in and just shooting the bull about beer/wine and brewing in general, drinking a sample brew while I was picking out my ingredients. I really miss having that place close by!

Old 03-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #29
turfguy1969

Recipes 

OK, so i can get 55 lbs at the LHBS with tax for roughly 50$. why would i spend an extra 50$ to ship ups from the net suppliers??

HEY BIRD I Grew up in Sheffield--berkshires! HOLA. weened on SCHLITZ from our PACKY (massachusetts speak here).

Couldn't agree more with CUSTOMER SERVICE. We have a different local Buffalo place that sells wine supplies and gifts. I asked the owner about Beer supplies and now I'm a KNUCKLE DRAGGER UP HIS! I'll go the extra 25 miles to North Tonowanda, and get homemade sausage on the way!!!

planning: red ale, sunshine wheat clone, cherry stout, another blue moon clone
in primary: all grain octoberfest lagering
Lagering fridge: " "
Conditioning: AG Sam Adams Ale clone, PG German Weissbier
Drinking: not much left

Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 AM   #30
Willsellout

Recipes 

Well I tried a new source for my homebrewing needs this week and ordered an American Wheat kit from a place a couple hours away. They charged me 20 bucks for shipping (I checked the ups site and it would have cost them 10 bucks to ship to me) and they sent it in a beat up reused box (so that didn't cost them anything. They shorted me a couple ounces on my steeping grains (only 1/2 lb was called for) and the hops were well beyond their prime. So I ended up sprucing it up with some hops I had lying around. I'm sure it will be fine, but you can bet your A$$ I won't be giving them any money from now on. Plus the guy I talked to didn't seem to know his A$$ from his elbow..Oh well, that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Quick Reply