Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another Grain Storage Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
bobbyc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Another Grain Storage Question

I recently bought a used chest freezer on craigslist. Stupid me didn't test to make sure it works... and of course, it doesn't. Old ladies can't be trusted.

Anyway... I'm thinking now I've got a 16 cubic foot grain storage bin. Right now I have the freezer out in my metal shead, underneath some trees. I live in South Carolina, so it gets rather hot (& humid) in the summer. I'd like to start buying bulk grains. Is anyone else storing their grains in a similar way to this? I'm wondering if the freezer might offer a bit more insulation from the hot summer than plastic bins. I guess anyone else living down south storing grain in their garage might be able to offer me some advice.

Thanks!

(I have searched through old forums, but am still not completely confident this is a good idea)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I keep mine in my garage in a brand new aluminum trash can from Lowe's. That keeps out any type of rodents.

To prevent bugs, I weigh out and package my 2-Row Pale to 8# bags (for my Haus Ale) and then I put them in the metal can in the garage and put the lid on. This should keep the bugs out plus it's pre-measured for my next batch of beer

I love my FoodSaver. Here's the contents of a 55# bag of Pale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply