Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another efficiency rant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Another efficiency rant

I don't know what to try next. I just completed my 8th? all-grain batch and ended up with 60% eff. I've posted about this before, so bear with me, here goes:

I crush my own grain, and have been experimenting with the gap. This time it might have even been too fine (lots of flour)

I do a single infusion batch sparge, and have experimented with mash-out vs no, and single sparge vs splitting in two equal sparges. No, or little effect.

I usually mash with about 1.25 qt/lb, using Beersmith to calculate strike temp, and have been pretty accurate with my mash temp (usually around 154-155).

I generally sparge to match boil volume, which for me is usually about 7.5-7.75 gal ( I know some have suggested more sparge water, and a longer boil, but I'm not looking for 90%, I'd be happy to get 75%).

When I started crushing my own, my eff went from about 55% to about 60%.

I figured that it might be a PH issue, so this time I used 5.2 stabilizer, and still came in at 60%.

I have tested my thermos, and both of my Hodrmoeters multiple times.

I usually brew with grain bills that at 75% eff. should render around 1.060-070 OG, but have yet to break 1.050. These are mostly very hoppy IPAs, so I'm often really missing the malt profile to compliment.

I usually pull a sample for testing somewhere in the middle of my transfer to the fermenter (I sipon from my keggle to carboy after a whirlpool and short rest to let settle).

Please Help! I don't know what else to try!

Corrupt Brewers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't offer suggestions to improve your efficiency. I can suggest that you should lower the brewhouse efficiency in Beersmith to your 60%. It is way better to be consistent than real good once in a while.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Slowwwww down the sparge ! This helped me achieve the 75% mark. Also keep about an inch of water above the grain bed at all times. I havn't replied to or read your ?'s befor so if you have previously stated your sparge method and times then Im unaware of them. Let me know and I will try to help from there.
Cheers, Gabe

Old 12-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Do you have your batch size set to match your wort size, meaning do you build your recipe around your post boil size or your pre-boil size? That ca make a difference..
I do 10 gal batches but I build my recipes to be 12 gal and my pre boil at 14 gal.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
kenb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe
Slowwwww down the sparge ! This helped me achieve the 75% mark. Also keep about an inch of water above the grain bed at all times. I havn't replied to or read your ?'s befor so if you have previously stated your sparge method and times then Im unaware of them. Let me know and I will try to help from there.
Cheers, Gabe
Really..drain slow? I just posted this exact same eff problem in another thread, and everyone asked why I was draining so slow in my mash and sparge runoff..i take about 20 minutes to drain each. Everyone said i should 'let it rip'....

Old 12-30-2007, 01:33 AM   #6
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

I'm batch sparging. I seem to remember reading multiple threads on this forum (though I can't quote any) from members claiming an easy 75-80% eff batch sparging quickly, and only resting a couple of minutes after adding sparge water and stirring to saturate.

Is this incorrect?

Thanlks.

Also, I have added more grain to compensate for my eff problems, but I'm interested in raising my eff a little, cause 60% isn't gonna fly forever.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 12-30-2007, 01:34 AM   #7
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, No, No. If you sparge too fast you will create a stuck sparge by compacting the grain bed( creates a suction forcing water along the outside of the grain in your MT). Open your wort valve slowly and then match your outgoing speed to your sparge in feed. I usually take 40-50 min sparging. I also get my grain not so efficiently cracked at my LHBS. don't go to fast , that's your prob bob, your missing all the extra sugar my friend.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
I usually brew with grain bills that at 75% eff. should render around 1.060-070 OG...
What was your grain bill?

Also, how exactly are you figuring your efficiency?

I suspect it's something fairly obvious and with the computation, not the process...

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 12-30-2007, 01:46 AM   #9
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe
No, No, No. If you sparge too fast you will create a stuck sparge by compacting the grain bed( creates a suction forcing water along the outside of the grain in your MT). Open your wort valve slowly and then match your outgoing speed to your sparge in feed. I usually take 40-50 min sparging. I also get my grain not so efficiently cracked at my LHBS. don't go to fast , that's your prob bob, your missing all the extra sugar my friend.
You're describing fly (or continuous) sparging, he is batch sparging. When you batch sparge you want to drain as quick as the grain bed will allow. There is no benefit at all to taking any time.

OP; you said you have never gotten past 1.050. Was this an exageration or an actual fact? If so I'd honestly wonder if there wasn't something wrong with your hydrometer.

Failing that is there another AG brewer in your area that could sit in on a brew day? It might be something silly you're just not seeing but will stand out to a second set of eyes.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 12-30-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry I was assuming you were fly sparging. Have you tryed Fly yet ? Good luck and I hope you figure this out.

Quick Reply