Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another effeciency thread :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
dummkauf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Another effeciency thread :(

I searched but couldn't find the answer, and I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

Getting ready to do my first AG brew either this weekend or next, and I think I have everything figured out except for how to guesstimate my effeciency to adjust the recipe.

I understand that efficiency is calculated based on the expected fermentables compared to what I actually get out of my mash(got beersmith to do the calcs). However, that assumes that I've done at least 1 mash already, and herein lies my problem. Do I just assume a poor efficiency rate for the first AG and adjust the recipe accordingly. Or is there a common efficiency to use for the first batch until I get a few batches under my belt and have my actual efficiency dialed in.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to guess for the first batch and take what I get, but if there are any other suggestions I'd love to hear them

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Beerbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can do it at 75 % which is usualy the rate we have. I dont think you will shoot alot lower this And if its higher just apreciate it

Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on using 75%.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 07-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
japhroaig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This upcoming brew will be your baseline. Can't know your baseline till you've done it, so I would guesstimate 65-70%. Just measure, measure, measure. You could hit 80%, you could hit 50%. Won't know what it'll be till the moment of truth.

Oh, and there is no common efficiency. That's like asking is there a common amount of plaque on a persons teeth--it completely depends. Anyway, take pictures and report back!

Team Nottingham Yeast!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I see a lot of threads here about getting 65-70% on a first AG attempt, so I'd shoot somehwere in there. I'd also prefer my beer to end up a little bigger than planned as opposed to ending up watery, but that's just me.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I disagree with assuming the 65-70% efficiency. That is what I did on my first AG batch and I now have undrinkable watery beer because I actually got about 53% efficiency.

My suggestion is to assume you're only going to get 50-55% efficiency out of your mash. That way, if you do get 65-75% you have a bigger beer, and if you only get 50-55% you at least have a drinkable beer.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Na, I think if you assume 65%-70% thats a great start:-) anything below 60% you really need to look at your method of brewing and how accurate your mash temp was:-)

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinWhite View Post
anything below 60% you really need to look at your method of brewing and how accurate your mash temp was:-)
That I don't disagree with, but it's something that the OP might not know (which batch sparge method works best) or be something that will be learned during (mash temp). It's all about knowing your system, and you/me/OP really won't know until we get our hands dirty and do it.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinWhite View Post
anything below 60% you really need to look at your method of brewing and how accurate your mash temp was:-)
Mash temp isn't going to have anything to do with your efficiency. How well you get the lautering done is what matters.

edit: I understand your dilemma here, OP. I had the same question when I did my first AG. I decided to estimate it at 70%. If I got lower, then I would have a hoppier lower alcohol beer. If I got higher than 70%, then I would have a maltier beer higher alcohol beer. I just tried to make a recipe that would work out well as long as I was in the 65% to 75% range.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks for the input. Anyone have any suggestions for recipes for this first round?

I was originally planning on another batch of Yoopers 60 min DFH clone as I've brewed that a couple times with extract now, or would that be a good brew for testing with?

thanks again for all the advice!!

Quick Reply