Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Another Batch Sparge Q..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Yankeehillbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Another Batch Sparge Q..

About 5 or 6 brews ago, i decided to start sparging with 185* water, I was searching for better efficiency(which I got). I double batch sparge with equal amounts, but I heat my second sparge to 185* as well. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting tannin extraction. My last few batches have all had a less than desirable off taste to them, that I can't quite explain.

I never check the temp of my grainbed during sparging, but I will from now on. From everything I've read so far, If I mash at 155* and add my 1st batch sparge of 1.75 gallons at 185* that should get me to about 165-168*. I drain that off and add my 2nd batch sparge of 1.75 gallons at 185*, will that put me at 175-178* or even higher? Is that hot enough for tannin extraction?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Yes..

The water should be no more than 170°F, as husk tannins become more soluble above this temperature, depending on wort pH. This could lead to astringency in the beer.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Getting the Wort Out (Lautering)

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/bobbym-flyguy-you-vs-palmer-sparge-water-temp-104562/

Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

You're stirring REALLY good after you add your sparge water, right?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

185F is an approximation. I'd rely on some software to be a little more precise. If you mash at 155F, it's more likely that 180F is a better sparge target. At the very least, it gives you a little more piece of mind.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
You're stirring REALLY good after you add your sparge water, right?
yeah, I stir the hell out of it.

Quote:
Yes..

The water should be no more than 170°F, as husk tannins become more soluble above this temperature, depending on wort pH. This could lead to astringency in the beer.

Today 12:05 AM
This is how I used to do it, but he seems to contradict himself in that section of the book. Janzik's thread touches on that, Thanks for the link BTW

Quote:
185F is an approximation. I'd rely on some software to be a little more precise. If you mash at 155F, it's more likely that 180F is a better sparge target. At the very least, it gives you a little more piece of mind.
I suppose I should look into beersmith or some program, or at least learn the math. I think from now on I will do my first sparge with 180* water and then my second sparge with 170* and pay close attention to the temp of the grainbed.

Hopefully these off flavors in my last couple of batches will go away in time, and this change in my process will get my future brews where they need to be.

As always thanks for the help, I see great brews in my future.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you do overshoot your temp just add ice to adjust it. That's a lot easier than raising the temp., in a cooler anyway. Works for me....

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangj View Post
Yes..

It's the grain temp, not the water temp, that matters. And pH is far more crucial to avoiding tannins than temp. The OP didn't even say he knew he had excessive tannins....just a less than desirable off taste. That could be a lot of things.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
It's the grain temp, not the water temp, that matters. And pH is far more crucial to avoiding tannins than temp. The OP didn't even say he knew he had excessive tannins....just a less than desirable off taste. That could be a lot of things.
yeah, this is one of many things that could be wrong in my process. I have made a lot of changes over the last couple months, mostly new equipment. I just know that my last couple of brews have really sucked. But according to my brewing records, the sucky brews seem to coincide with switching to hotter sparge temps.

I will also add taking a pH reading of both sparges to my routine. All I have is strips, but it will get me in the ballpark.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 504

But "suck" in what way? You've got to be able to define the problem in order to solve it.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply