Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > amylase enzyme... A.k.a... beano

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
jesse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default amylase enzyme... A.k.a... beano

I have a few questions on this one. First one being, does the fermentaion ever really stop... I added 3/4 teaspoon to a 6.25 gallon batch with a sg of 1.052 in the secondary and it's been 2 long weeks.. Still about 3/16" of little white bubbles. Is this normal.. I've heard that it can kick your abv up a full %. Any truth to that? And how dry is dry?? Any body that takes in a little white powder from time to time let me know. Thanks for reading. One other thing.. Using 1056 what fg am i looking at?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse
I have a few questions on this one. First one being, does the fermentaion ever really stop... I added 3/4 teaspoon to a 6.25 gallon batch with a sg of 1.052 in the secondary and it's been 2 long weeks.. Still about 3/16" of little white bubbles. Is this normal.. I've heard that it can kick your abv up a full %. Any truth to that? And how dry is dry?? Any body that takes in a little white powder from time to time let me know. Thanks for reading. One other thing.. Using 1056 what fg am i looking at?
Get ready for a wait. Beano does convert otherwise non-sugared starches by breaking them down but it is a slow process.

My only experience with beano resulted in gushers.

As far as a predicted FG, no way of knowing without having all the other details.

If you want to kick up the ABV%, add more DME or corn sugar.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Mine sat in a carboy, after adding Beano, for about 3 months.

I primed as normal and 2 weeks later, the carbonation was perfect, but the unlagered beer tasted like ass.

2 months later, with 2 months of lagering, the beer tasted awesome, but it was insanely overcarbed. I drank every last one, fearing a bottle bomb if I let them rest any longer.

Beano helped the fermentation along, but honestly, your question is one that I myself have asked.....

Does the fermentation ever stop?

In my limited experience, the answer is no.. and that is scary.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
I primed as normal and 2 weeks later, the carbonation was perfect, but the unlagered beer tasted like ass.

Rofl, sorry to laugh at your misfortune but you choice of words was funny

From all of the threads talking about beano, I haven't seen terribly much praise about it other than it kept a ferment going.

My personal philosophy on beer is that (well part of it anyway) is to let your recipe be your recipe, in other words if that is how it is...then that is how it is. If you add beano to correct a 'stuck' ferment then I'd say there is a problem in the process.

On the other hand if the beer just finished high and you wanted it lower then I'd say one of two things....first would be try a higher attenuating strain next time or if the style permits, consider experimenting with some Brettanomyces....or if you brew AG then you can consider mashing low...I have done 146 with tremendous results in terms of dryness.

Also do everything you can to ensure that your yeast are happy and healthy so they can reach the numbers you are shooting for in terms of attenuation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

The times I've used Beano, it has taken 6-8 weeks for the fermentation to stop. And the ale gets really dry. It goes faster at higher temperatures.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
poetic_entropy
Recipes 

I added beano, probably first and last time, to my rasp honey wheat. I mashed at 152 after protein rest and my fg still stood around 23. I put in 2 tabs smashed, how long am I going to have to wait now? I am checkin gravity today, we'll see where it is. I was shooting for 09 or 10 FG, Is beano gonna take it lower than that?

Thank you

Old 06-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse
...Using 1056 what fg am i looking at?
56 / 4 = 14

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
DeNovo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Amylase in Blueberry Ale

Thought I'd add a note to this thread. I used 15 drops of liquid beano (amylase) to the secondary of this 1.059 OG blueberry ale, partly to attempt a somewhat lower carb ale, and partly just to see what it'd do. Held out a gallon without the beano for a control.

Well, the control finished at 1.011, but the beano-treated kept dropping. Finally hit bottom at 1.001. Here's the progression:
8/26 - 1.024 (and very murky from the blueberry pectin, I guess)
8/28 - 1.013
9/01 - 1.008
9/03 - 1.006
9/19 - 1.000 OK, thats DRY. Flavor is quite nice, though...
Added some gelatin finings on 9/29
Plan to bottle on 9/30

Reason: add a pc

Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Is your hydrometer calibrated to exactly zero? I have three hydrometers and they all read differently in distilled water.

- JVD_X

Old 10-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD_X View Post
Is your hydrometer calibrated to exactly zero? I have three hydrometers and they all read differently in distilled water.
Hmm, I just had a thought (dangerous, I know).

If you brew with tap water, should you zero your hydrometer with tap water instead of distilled water?

Quick Reply