New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Amount of coffee for an RIS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
MattTimBell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Amount of coffee for an RIS

Hi all,

My father-in-law and I are planning on starting an RIS this weekend. We did the same recipe last year (sort of a Yeti clone), and it was amazing! This year, we want to do it again, adding coffee, but aren't certain about amounts. It seems that most people add it at secondary, but with amounts varying widely. BYO posted a recipe online with 15 oz, while a recipe here on HBT called for only 4 oz.

Anyway, here's the base recipe. Any suggestions about how to get a good coffee aroma matched to the strength of this?

17 lbs 2-row pale.
1.5 lbs flaked wheat
0.75 lbs chocolate malt
0.75 lbs black patent.
0.62 lbs roasted barley
0.20 lbs molasses

Mash at 154degF for 60 min. Boil down to 5 gal., adding 1.5 oz Chinook at 60 min, another 1.5 oz at 15 min, and 1 oz. at flameout. Split batch into two carboys, giving each one packet of American Ale yeast. When the krauesen begins to die down, rack off the sediment into a single carboy. (I'm assuming this would be the time to add the coffee.)

For coffee beans, we're thinking of using Starbuck's Komodo Dragon roast.

Thanks for any advice!

-- Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
MaltnHops
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very interested in the answer to this.

Bottled: Dubbel Agent, Black Ops American Stout
Keg #1: Nothing
Keg #2: Nothing
Keg #3: Nothing
Keg #4: Nothing
Fermenting: Imperial American Brown
Next On Deck: Imperial Stout?
Brewed in 2012: 65 gallons
Brewed in 2013: 50 gallons (so far)

Old 09-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts

I don't know that I'd add just the coffee beans, would think some of the oils and bitterness might lead to unwelcome results. A lot of people rave about doing a cold steep of their coffee in the fridge for 24 hours before pouring the liquid into the secondary/keg. Sadly I've not been able to get around to brewing one of my own, but might give you something else to think about.

Edit: Rereading, doesn't sound like you are planning on adding the beans, my bad . But yeah, the cold steeping thing.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
MattTimBell
Recipes 

Erik, thanks. What about amounts? :-) Any recommendations there?

Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
JasonToews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've heard adding the coffee at bottling gets the best results. I've added a Lb of grinded coffee to the mash and was also pretty good. So its really your preference

Old 09-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #6
ericnem
Recipes 

I recently did a 1.060 Sweet Stout (it doesn't really compare to your recipe but here is what I did) and added coffee to it by taking 1L of distilled water, boiling for 15 min, cooled, added 4 oz (by weight) of ground coffee in a sanitized container, stirred, covered, and put in fridge for 24 hours. After this I ran the mixture thru a coffee filter (actually twice) and it yielded 2 cups of cold steeped coffee. I added this to 2.5 gallons at bottling and it scored a 39 at the Minnesota State Fair comp. Turned out great. Hopefully you can use this and kind of scale it accordingly for what you think will work for your recipe. Good Luck, Cheers!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
Patirck
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I added very strong brewed coffee to a sweet stout at knock out - I think it was about 1 liter for a 5 gallon batch. The coffee flavor came through pretty well.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
sweaterman
Recipes 

I am interested in this as well, I have a mocha stout in primary right now. I want to have the coffee flavor come out a bit and was thinking about 12oz of cold press would be good for my five gallon batch, but what others are suggesting here makes that sound like too little coffee.

Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
ericnem
Recipes 

Also, when I was doing research on this the one thing that seemed important was cold steeping. If you brew a batch in your coffee maker you will bring along more of the acidity and such which can leave off flavors. I did this with mine and was very happy but I know others have hot steeped too and they came out fine. Just my 0.02.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Oceanslider
Recipes 

I was trying to do an Alesmith Speedway Stout clone. I talked to Alesmith and they use the equivalent of 22oz. in a 5 gal. batch. They added it right before bottling since it is easier to control. I tried it and it worked great!

Quick Reply