Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Amount of base malt to convert adjuncts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
PeatReek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Amount of base malt to convert adjuncts?

I understand, from "How to Brew", that many adjuncts (I'm especially thinking oatmeal here, for a porter) require mashing with an enzymatic base malt to become fermentable. My question is, what's an appropriate ratio of base malt to oatmeal, given that I'm only doing a partial mash rather than an all-grain batch? I don't recall seeing this info anywhere; if there's an online calculator or guide somewhere, link away...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I'd go a pound of base for a pound of oatmeal or rye. And it's always a good idea to precook/boil oatmeal before adding it to the mash.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:03 AM   #3
Steve973
Recipes 

Are you doing all grain or partial mash? If your adjuncts don't go over 10% (and why would they?) you should be fine. If you're extra-paranoid, you can add some amylase to the mash.

-----edit-------
well, if i would've read your post carefully, I would have seen that you're doing a partial mash. so listen to the others who read your post more carefully i need some sleep. good night cruel world!

Last edited by Steve973; 10-27-2005 at 01:34 AM.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:20 AM   #4
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1 to 1 ratio. Just match all your specialty malts and adjuncts pound for pounnd with a base malt. Even more base malt won't hurt. If your total grain bill is less than 3 pounds, add base malt to reach 3 pounds. This helps with heat retention and filtering in the mini-mash.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 10-29-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

For what it's worth, 6 row has greater enzymatic power than 2 row. While some say the 6 row will lend more of a grainy taste I've never noticed it (though I do usually stick with 2 row anyway). Anyhow, if you're concerned then you could try using 6 row base malt.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I wouldn't go above 20% fermentible adjuncts. (Source: Papazian - The new complete joy of home brewing),

Assuming you flaked oats, they should not need precooking as they were cooked during the flaking process (Numerous sources including Papazian).

Good luck.

-a.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeatReek
I don't recall seeing this info anywhere; if there's an online calculator or guide somewhere, link away...
peatreek, try www.promash.com. it's a very good brewing software that you can down load a free sample or order it on-line. almost any HBS will have the software too ($25). ifyou download the trial version, it will let you save three recipes. or, you can use it to calculate, write it down, then just don't save it and you can use it over and over. helps w/ water calculations, grain bill, IBU's, etc. i love it!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply