American Pilsen vs Briess pilsen malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate456789

Reaction score
American Pilsen vs Briess pilsen malt.
Does any one have any recommendations on these?
The Briess seems to be sold out everywhere but American is available.
Which is a better malt? My guess would be the Briess since it is sold out everywhere.
Just don't want to buy a large quantity of the american if it is not very good malt.
I am looking to do light, malty summer beers.
Thanks

I really like the Castle Pilsner malt (from Belgium) and I use that instead of Briess pilsner malt for many beers. I've used it in everything from a Belgian tripel to American pale ales, and I love it in lighter beers.

I really like the Castle Pilsner malt (from Belgium) and I use that instead of Briess pilsner malt for many beers. I've used it in everything from a Belgian tripel to American pale ales, and I love it in lighter beers.

That is what the local store sells at $1.99 a pound. So they must agree.
Do you have any preferred suppliers?
So far rebel brewer is the only online place I see and 50 ib bag only gets me to 1.87 ib minus a 7% tax that I would pay local.
I usually buy local but the last couple times I bought there they rubbed me the wrong way. A shame because I have dropped a lot of cash at that store the last couple years. The owner is really nice, but a couple people she has working for her have an attitude.

That is what the local store sells at $1.99 a pound. So they must agree.
Do you have any preferred suppliers?
So far rebel brewer is the only online place I see and 50 ib bag only gets me to 1.87 ib minus a 7% tax that I would pay local.
I usually buy local but the last couple times I bought there they rubbed me the wrong way. A shame because I have dropped a lot of cash at that store the last couple years. The owner is really nice, but a couple people she has working for her have an attitude.

I've only bought Castle pilsner malt from Northern Brewer, when I picked up the sacks myself (no shipping!). So I'd say get it wherever you can get the best shipped price.

I quite like Briess Pils. It's exceptionally pale and works great with my typical (double-decoction) procedure. The beer on the left is Beck's, the beer on the right is my single-malt Pilsner with Briess Pils:
52744d1331881357-briess-pilsner-malt-img_20120210_221310.jpg

It's a buck a pound from Austin Homebrew, but I can also get it locally for ~$1.50 (from Whole Foods!).

Ordered a 55 ib sack of castle pilsner and a couple pounds of hops from them. Your right the invoice said rebel on it.
Everything was at least half the price that it is local.

Thanks for the help!

I have a question about Castle Pilsner malt or any Pilsner malt I guess.
When designing recipes using this malt I see that everyone recommends a 90 min boil to burn off the DMS followed by a quick chill.

Most 60 min recipes do bittering hops at 60 min. Should I be adding them at 90 instead of 60? How much affect does the extra time on a 90 min boil have on this?
Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and if there is much of a difference.

Thanks

I've done it both ways.. boiled for 30 minutes, then add the hops or just add the hops at 90. I think the calculations from BeerSmith are fine to figure out the additional IBU extracted in the extra 30 minutes.

Back