New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Amber malt decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
TippHillBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Amber malt decision

Hello HBT, this is my first post and i am a newbie to All grain. I am going to be brewing a DFH90 clone and have found two recipes. One was from the BYO IPA recipes article and another is straight from the internet. They are boh very similar except for the grains. The one from BYO says to use 1.66 lbs amber malt and the other says 1.t5 lbs Thomas Fawcett amber malt. Would the difference really matter? My homebrew store only carries amber and to get TF amber the shipping costs more than the grain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Welcome to HBT. If it were me, I'd got with the amber malt from your local store. Well, if it were me, I'd go with Munich because that's what I buy in bulk

Do you know the maltster for the amber malt your local store carries? It might be Thomas Fawcett. Good luck with your IPA!

Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
TippHillBC
Recipes 

Thanks. i do not know his maltster, but i can check. Im leaning towards using whatever my LHBS has for my first all grain. maybe once i get better at it i can start to specialize. I just dodnt know how much of a difference it would make. bottom line is that it will be beer regardless!

Quick Reply