*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Amber ale help
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Bookem15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Davenport, Wa
Posts: 221
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Amber ale help

Have done several batches of AG and now I have an issue. On 4-9-12 I put this recipe together....

11 lbs 2 row
8 oz crystal 80
8 oz carapils
2 oz special B
2 roasted barley
1.5 lbs honey (5 minutes left in boil)

1/2 oz northern brewer (60 min)
1 oz fuggles (5 min)
Will be doing 1 oz fuggles dry hop

Us 04 with a 1000 ml yeast starter

Post boil gravity reading 1.072

Fermented at 64-66 degrees F

As I was getting ready for dry hop addition ( my first time trying ) and I decided to take a gravity reading so I knew where I was at after 9 days fermenting. The fermentation was very vigorous and it is still very slowly going.

Here is where my problem is, I took a reading and it came out to 1.033 after 9 days and I really thought it was going to be lower than that. Should I rack to secondary and add more yeast or just let it be?

Any help would be appreciated......

__________________
Bookem15 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Waterboy42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 123
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

What was your mash temp?

__________________
Waterboy42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
Hanso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 188
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy42
What was your mash temp?
It's either the honey yeast combo (unlikely) or too high mash temp. Us04 definitely tolerates high alcohol in my limited use of it (barleywine) so there are probably unfermentable sugars in there.
__________________
Hanso is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
rpres1977
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 37
Default

No no no no......never move a brew in the middle of fermentation! If you still got activity let it ride and don't rack to secondary vessel till gravity is stable and no fermentation activity present. Be patient and let the yeast do their job. There is still a lot of misconception about secondary fermentation vs. secondary vessel. Your secondary vessel is a bright tank or clearing vessel, shouldn't be any ferm going on in secondary unless you add adjuncts such as fruit or something. I'll actually even add fruit to primary and let it ferment out before racking since its also less cleanup

__________________
rpres1977 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
Bookem15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Davenport, Wa
Posts: 221
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Mash temp was 151-152 and I never have done a secondary but this is the highest abv I have attempted and was not sure

__________________
Bookem15 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #6
rpres1977
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 37
Default

Mash temp looks perfect for good fermentability. I'd wait it out another 7days at least with that high a gravity brew

__________________
rpres1977 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
Bookem15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Davenport, Wa
Posts: 221
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

After looking at calendar I am going out of town on Tuesday so I guess it sits until next Sunday. I will just have to wait and see.

__________________
Bookem15 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North Central NC
Posts: 527
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I'd give it at least 3 weeks in primary, then bottle or keg, assuming all fermentation is complete, and I am sure it will be, good luck.

__________________
jagg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Bookem15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Davenport, Wa
Posts: 221
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Ok I kegged this batch and the big issue is that it has alcohol taste to it. If I just let it sit for a few weeks in the fridge it might be drinkable but it isn't yet. We will just have to wait.

__________________
Bookem15 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tennesseean_87's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,183
Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default

What did the FG come out to? Ferm temps? If your thermometer is off by a few degrees that can mess up your mashing.

__________________
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking
tennesseean_87 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools