Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Am I doing this wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
bxtzd3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Am I doing this wrong

So i have my tun all set. But I can't get it to flow water. Is the braid to long? At first if I tilted it it would go then stop. This stinks.

forumrunner_20130708_210318.png

forumrunner_20130708_210341.png

You are witnessing the birth of Riley's angry Irish Breweries. How lucky for you!

Prim- Angry and Pale, ale
Sec- Angry Irish Smashed Pumkin Ale
Bottled- Angry Mardi Gras Special
Cask- epic failure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

The bulkhead inlet needs to be under water. The braid is "open" and not a hose. The inlet needs to be submerged for water to flow.

To reduce the bottom deadspace, install an airtight assembly from the bulkhead inlet to the lower lying braid (or manifold), such as a bend pipe, tubing, or a hose.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Fill it up with more water, put a hose/tube on your hose barb to create a siphon....She will only drain as high as the ball valve without a hose/tube on the end of your ball valve barb (the hose is needed to creat the siphon effect)

Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
bxtzd3
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

ah, thought it was an easy fix.ill see tomorrow

You are witnessing the birth of Riley's angry Irish Breweries. How lucky for you!

Cask- epic failure

Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 168

That looks like it would be a PITA. Too long, too flexible, too wimpy. I used a 12 inch water heater supply line. It would go over the outside of you fittings. I can beat the s*#t out of it when stirring with no problems.

I think I used this one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-...1#.Udt1LfmW-So

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You do have holes cut in your tubing right? If not, that is your problem IMO. I have a brass square head plug (Watts #737) in the end of my tubing with a SS clamp to keep anything out.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
bxtzd3
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFaith View Post
You do have holes cut in your tubing right? If not, that is your problem IMO. I have a brass square head plug (Watts #737) in the end of my tubing with a SS clamp to keep anything out.
its stainless steel braid. holes already there. i know its ugly but it was a test run.

Cask- epic failure

Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
BlindFaith
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxtzd3 View Post
its stainless steel braid. holes already there. i know its ugly but it was a test run.
It is just a braid with no tubing inside? Wouldn't that collapse under the weight of the grist anyhow?

I buy my SS braid in 12" sections, cut the fittings off, push the braid off of the tubing, cut staggered holes into a 12" piece of 3/8" tubing, and then run that through the stainless braid and I have never had any issues outside of one stuck sparge when my plug came out the back of the tubing.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
bxtzd3
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

ok, i took my 50 qt cooler back and got a 70 with the outlet in the right spot. i also picked up a 18" braided hose 3/4" wide and cooper wire for bracing inside the hose. i think this will be better. yes/no?

Cask- epic failure

Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
chawagi
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFaith View Post
It is just a braid with no tubing inside? Wouldn't that collapse under the weight of the grist anyhow?
Hi, Guys.

Quality stainless braiding should hold up to the weight with out collapsing. If it collapses it is most likely that faux SS plastic crap.

I'm very much a noob, but it seems the problem with the lack of internal tubing and such a long braid will be the tendancy for the braid to flex downward rather than collapse. Since the braid is an open filtration system and not a sealed hose, only the length of the braid that is level to the valve inlet will be effective. I think this will result in less area to filter the wort and more possibility for a stuck sparge.

I'm not sure what cooper wire is, but if it holds the braid level with the valve, it should be okay in my inexperienced opinion.

Quick Reply