Always Using Set Mash Water Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
So I was listening to Can You Brew It? on the way to work this morning and heard one of the guys saying that he brews 12 gallon batches. Every batch he does he uses 9 gallons of water. No matter what. Every time. Then he sparges with his batch size (12 gallons). How does this make sense?

He basically says that he doesnt worry about it being a thin or thick mash but this does not add up to me.

If he has a recipe with 36 pounds of grain

He would do 9 gallons at mash + 12 gallons for sparge = 21 gallons

Beersmith says something that is quite different. They say 11.42 + 6.70 = 18.12 gallons

That is a big difference. Does Tasty (is it tasty that said that???) just boil forever or something??? How does this work??

Does he just stop once he hits his boil volume in his kettle? How does this effect gravity?

He sparges until he collects enough wort for his batch size. So he might need to get 15 gallons into the kettle. I assume that's what he said.

Back