Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Alternative lautering method?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
iddqd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Alternative lautering method?

Okay, so after two extract batches I'm thinking about going over to small AG batches (since I live in a small apartment and don't have a lot of money). The batch size will probably be 10 liters (just over 2.5 gallons).

Anyhow, I found an article on small scale AG brewing on a Swedish website and they had some weird method of lautering that I hadn't seen before. They did the mash in a kettle which was then put on the stove. Then they used an L-shaped copper tube with some metal net in one end and a siphon in the other and used it for sparging. They regulated the flow by adjusting the height of the collection vessel.

What do you think of this method? I'm a bit concerned about the efficiency. They made a pretty low-gravity beer in the example (1.048), and according to my calculations, the efficiency was about 78, but what about bigger beers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Sorry, I've never heard of that.

I did want to ask if you've considered doing a partial mash using a brew-in-the-bag method? Here's two links: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/ and http://www.breworganic.com/tips/Virt...sh-extract.htm

For smaller spaces, this might be a method you'd enjoy. Cheers!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
iddqd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Sorry, I've never heard of that.

I did want to ask if you've considered doing a partial mash using a brew-in-the-bag method? Here's two links: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/ and http://www.breworganic.com/tips/Virt...sh-extract.htm

For smaller spaces, this might be a method you'd enjoy. Cheers!

Yep, but I hadn't seen the breworganic link before. Thanks!
Actually, I'm considering a lot of methods and will probably try several.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 442 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would think that you coud easily batch sparge and siphon teh wort out of the tun...a bit of a hassle, but not too bad. I would get a cheap turkey baster to fill the siphon tubing.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use DeathBrewer's BIAB method for 2.5 gal batches, and stick the (3 gal) pot in the oven to keep it warm during the mash. I discovered through trial and error that 170*F in my oven holds the mash at 149*F, 175*F at 152*F, 180*F holds perfectly at 155*F. YMMV. Makes for a very easy brew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
iddqd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I use DeathBrewer's BIAB method for 2.5 gal batches, and stick the (3 gal) pot in the oven to keep it warm during the mash. I discovered through trial and error that 170*F in my oven holds the mash at 149*F, 175*F at 152*F, 180*F holds perfectly at 155*F. YMMV. Makes for a very easy brew...
Thanks. How's the efficiency for higher OG brews?

Quick Reply