Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Alright, so I tried this newfangled "Single Infusion" thing again...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Alright, so I tried this newfangled "Single Infusion" thing again...

You may know that I never really got away from Papazian's stepped, direct-fired kettle mashing technique (133f for 30 mins, 149-155f for 60 mins, 158 for 20 mins or until starch test is negative). I've had crappy results in the past with single-infusion mashing in the cooler. I couldn't stand the lack of temp control, and the last time I did it, my efficiency (which is normally 80%+) dropped down to the low 60's. I mean, hell, I even have a sweeeet 10 gallon picnic cooler outfitted with a domed stainless false bottom and spigot that was given to me, but I still usually mash in the kettle and then dump it in the cooler to drain and sparge.

This weekend, though, I decided I was going to try it out again and see if I couldn't get some good results with the single infusion thing. So I did...and I gotta say, the whole "set it and forget it" thing really appeals to me. Anyway, I did 2 batches like this, with a little mini-decoction at the end to make up for the slight temp drop over 60 minutes. The hefe ended up at 73% efficiency and the Munich Helles ended up at like 86%. Not sure what the difference was, except maybe all that wheat malt not converting as well in the hefe. But anyway, I gotta say, I just might try this more often. I'll probably still direct-fire with some batches, but if I can consistently get 75-80% with single infusion, even if I have to do a 10 minute decoc at the end, I'm all about that. No transferring, no babysitting the mash...not bad!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 407 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 106

How much temperature are you losing? You pre-heating? You pre-heating enough?

I've been using the Coleman Xtreme, set and forget (don't bother stirring once everything is all set) and nailing 80% - 90%. Don't bother with a decoction at the end; just start your sparge by adding water that's 175°-ish (basically still doing a mashout). I think I've read that the fermentability characteristics of the wort are driven more by the INITIAL temperature in the cooler (starting at 154°, for example) rather than if it stayed at 154° or cooled off to 148°, so I don't sweat any minor temp drop I might have, anyway.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
surfbrewer
Recipes 

Welcome to the easy life I do single infusions in a cooler and then batch sparge, I get 80+% all day long. I've never felt the need to step mash, although I don't do lagers yet either. Glad you had some decent results.

Cheers

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never read Papazian's book, what was the point of a final rest at 158F? It doesn't seem like it would really accomplish anything since conversion is done by then (most of the time) and it's too low of a temperature for a mash out. Is it just a hold over from when the malts were less modified?

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 622 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 233

I always dial down my efficiency settings for heavy wheat bills.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 05-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You ol' dog. Seems like your learning a new trick each week.
That trip to France, "must have gotten your mind right."

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
learningmore
Recipes 

Papizian mentions that single-infusion mashes need to be done with highly modified malts. Is that what you used? I've found there is a limited selection of grains for single-infusion. Thanks for your origional prost.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningmore View Post
Papizian mentions that single-infusion mashes need to be done with highly modified malts. Is that what you used? I've found there is a limited selection of grains for single-infusion. Thanks for your origional prost.
From the places I've shopped I've seen the opposite -- very few grains are under-modified.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 52 Posts

Yeah, most grains available for brewing that need to be mashed are highly modified and only need a single infusion. The styles that still need some seperate rests are the ones high in protein, large percentages of wheat, rye and even oats. Then you might do a protein rest at around 122º for 15 minutes or so before going to your main conversion rest.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts

I didn't preheat my cooler, but I accounted for that in ProMash by adjusting my thermal mass setting. I lost a couple degrees over 60 minutes...and by the end of that, starch tests were negative, but I still did the mini-decoctions because, well, I was brewing a hefe and a helles---both styles that benefit from melanoidin production.

And yeah, I think it was the 5 or 6 week hiatus from brewing that helped me step back and reevaluate some of the things I do. That, and Yuri's got me concerned about tannin extraction...but we'll see on that one.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply