Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Almost ready for first all-gain batch: rice hulls question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I believe the grain bill was merely Pils, Vienna, Aromatic and Gambrinus Honey Malt. Haven't used honey before, but other than the honey odor it looked like any other specialty malt. I generally use rice hulls whenever using flaked grains or wheat or even if I use MO as a base malt as I've had issues with that.

I think my problem was I misjudged the depth of the grain bed (thought it was taller) and started the sparge too early. The massive amount of water above the grain bed compacted it. I generally drain it down to about half an inch before starting the sparge but I somehow got out of my normal routine.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply