Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All of our beers taste nothing special..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
Tiako
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default All of our beers taste nothing special..

For example we brewed an IPA and it tastes like an IPA but it tastes generic as hell. 60 bucks and nothing special.

Where are we going wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Switch to All Grain...

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
bmunos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdonnelly68 View Post
Switch to All Grain...
lol!

There is a video floating around. Im sure someone can post it for you. It talks about beers tasting like "Brown." It altered how I think about recipes. I suggest taking a look.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about??

Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
bmunos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Found it!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Sometimes beers just taste like beers. If you want to get unique beers then you have to do unique things. Use different hop combinations in a pale ale or use unique additives like cacao nibs in a stout. Sometimes it can be as simple as you are adding too much to it. An IPA with 10 different hops would taste generic to my palate where a nice 3 hop combo would leave me intrigued and trying to pick out the unique flavors. Most of all you should forget about the cost if you can. Don't think a 60 dollar batch will rock purely because it costs more.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
For example we brewed an IPA and it tastes like an IPA but it tastes generic as hell. 60 bucks and nothing special.

Where are we going wrong?
Two things,

1) There's no guarantee on the kit that says what you will get will be mind blowing. You will get beer. I've had good ones. I've had a few great ones and one or two that were...drinkable. You brewed an IPA that tastes like an IPA. To me that doesn't really stand out as an issue.

2) Where are you going wrong? Well, being that your original post is not exactly chock full o' information, it is hard to suggest what to try next. What types of kits are you brewing? What are you techniques? What beers do you like? The FIRST, not last, transmission back to NASA is "Houston we have a problem," it can't end there.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Tiako Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Tiako
Recipes 

We are doing all grain

This IPA had like 4 different hops in it and tons of a ****ing grain

Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Seriously... Is there a commercial beer that you would be stoked to replicate. For me they are Bridgeport IPA and SN Torpedo.

Then based on what you like. What would you like more that is not available commercially. For me it is a true Session Ipa, a toned down alcohol content but all other characters like IPA, mouthfeel, carbonation, 'hop forward', etc.

Let's work on your next recipe. I have some other really cool recipes i.e. 'dry hop porter'.

It would also be helpful to know what your equipment is like... mash tun/ LT and Kettle.

Lastly, in an IPA where you have spent $60 you should be getting a good bit of hops, using them to their fullest and finding quality hops are critical.

meh.

Tiako Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Tiako
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmunos View Post
Wow.. yeah our beer tastes brown pretty much describes it.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
Tiako
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife View Post
Seriously... Is there a commercial beer that you would be stoked to replicate. For me they are Bridgeport IPA and SN Torpedo.

Then based on what you like. What would you like more that is not available commercially. For me it is a true Session Ipa, a toned down alcohol content but all other characters like IPA, mouthfeel, carbonation, 'hop forward', etc.

Let's work on your next recipe. I have some other really cool recipes i.e. 'dry hop porter'.

It would also be helpful to know what your equipment is like... mash tun/ LT and Kettle.

Lastly, in an IPA where you have spent $60 you should be getting a good bit of hops, using them to their fullest and finding quality hops are critical.
Well, we have a good amount of equipment built a mash from a cooler. kinda small wort chiller we built too. It can't however take all 6 gallons of water at once so we have to split it up. We have a thermometer thats very precise digital. Alum pot and gas burner. Better bottles and we only have a swamp cooler for a fermenter but we only do ales so don't see this as a problem. We keg too.

Quick Reply