Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All my light beers taste the same

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
the_wickster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All my light beers taste the same

I'm getting really frustrated lately every time I brew a light colored beer. With the exception of a hefe (which have been turning out pretty good) all my light beers that are lightly hopped have the same flavor. Anything with an SRM over 7-10 turns out superb.

Doesn't matter weather I use pilsner malt or basic 2-row for the base. They all seem to have a DMS type of flavor that dominates. I do 90 min boils and my IC cools really fast. They seem really thin with no head retention.

I do have very hard well water with out of sight alkalinity. But I've been using 5.2 PH buffer and conversion goes well. FGs have been what I expect. I've been using multiple generations of Wyeast 1007 for the majority of my beer styles. So maybe its mutated/infected. But that yeast (with a pilsner malt base) made an awesome american amber ale.

Where should I start looking to make a change? I'm going to start with some fresh yeast. Should I look into buying some bottled water? If so any particular suggestions as to where?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Could be water profile. 5.2 buffer only alters the PH not the mineral content of the water.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Start with all distilled or RO water or at least some percentage but you should start by getting your water tested.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
the_wickster
Recipes 

I have had it tested. Its super hard and bicarbonates are really high. RA is very high. Next to none SO4. I don't have the detailed results handy right now. I do add gypsum for my hoppier beers.

How much does water profile affect flavor vs mash PH? Beyond the CL / SO4 ratio.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3149 Times on 3056 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wickster View Post
How much does water profile affect flavor vs mash PH? Beyond the CL / SO4 ratio.
Well, depending on ABV, beer is only about 92% - 96% water.

Seriously, I've found that it makes a huge difference. I'll cut 50/50 well water/ RO when doing a light pils based beer...

Quick Reply