The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > all grain then extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Righlander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default all grain then extract

hey guys. i recently moved in to a new apartment. i wanted to fill the keg to break in the new pad. ive been brewing all grain for the past 2 years or so. i couldn't get to my equipment so i decided to brew an extract kit. a brewer's best german altbier kit to be exact. now, the beer has been in the keg about 3 weeks. it has a weird taste to it. maybe extract twang. it's very hard to describe the taste. i almost want to call it an artificial taste. anyway, the taste does seem to be getting more mellow. but it's definitely still there. also, it did say that this particular style benefits from cold conditioning. i wonder if i'm going to have to pitch this batch. anyone have any similar experiences? it was dry notty yeast i believe i fermented around 60f-64f

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Hmm.... I've made many a beer with Notty and haven't had any off-flavors, especially not in the low 60's.

Does this new place you moved into have a different water source than your previous living arrangements?

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Righlander
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always just use publix spring water

Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
BigBlue10EM
Recipes 

I've noticed the brewers best kits don't have the freshest ingredients. I bought a Continental Pilsner(extract w/steeping grains) kit back in the beginning of Jan and the LME was several years old and the yeast was expired for about a month. I just had my first bottle today and it has a rubbery smell and slight rubber taste. I used spring water with it.

Quick Reply