Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is all grain supposed to be hard?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #71
Bodesbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I say AG all the way! Once I went to AG, I never went back except for a couple of times using some really old extracts I really enjoy being able to tweak my own recipes and going through all the steps... Crushing grain, mashing in, etc... Now that I keg, it's even better because I can have it on tap!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #72
plumber_bob
Life gets in the way of brewing way too much!!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodesbrew View Post
I say AG all the way! Once I went to AG, I never went back except for a couple of times using some really old extracts I really enjoy being able to tweak my own recipes and going through all the steps... Crushing grain, mashing in, etc... Now that I keg, it's even better because I can have it on tap!
I love AG too. Might try extract one day but I don't see it in the near future.
I'm with you on the control of your recipe issue. Nothing better than being able to adjust a recipe to your taste buds.

pb

Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #73
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I started AG kind of by accident.
Read up on BIAB, and welded a SS nipple to the bottom of my keggle, bought a strainer bag and some grains and gave it a try.
One day (after a few batches) the bag broke and dumped all the grain into the MT. I had no choice but to open the valve and try to save the wort into a bucket.
To my surprise, the wort flowed easily, and with no grain (after a short clearing).

The next time, instead of BIAB, I got a piece of SS screen, and cut it to fit the bottom of the keggle. It worked great, and I've been refining my set up and doing AG ever since.

The guys at your LHBS were jerks.
Mine are pretty good/friendly, but they are way behind the times... I don't have the heart to tell them (or argue about) all the old-school, outdated facts they always spew.

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer

Superbowl champions.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 AM   #74
Clearcut23
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I for one don't miss the "extract taste". I can tell the difference like night and day. A guy I worked with was a brewer as well. We swapped a few bottles. I gave him some distilled stuff and he gave me some partial mash brews and I was blown away. Haven't looked back

Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #75
stevefarns
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dude, I waneed to make the jump to all grain for years. Just never got around to it and for years thought I could not afford it. Sad part is, for the diff in cost between two partial and two all grains, the small cost will be paid for.
I just did my first all grain this weekend. So ridiculously easy that I thought I must be missing something. Guess what? Brew is fermenting away in my basement. So easy, I don't know why I waited so long to make the jump. I have been brewing on a crappy electric cooktop for my entire brewing life, a cheap outdoor propane burner did a full boil in less time than I used to be able to do a partial boil in the kitchen. The full day maybe took me 30 more minutes than a partial. I know this because my buddy brewed a partial with me at the same time. It was great. I think I just love an excuse to hang out in the backyard and drink beer. So relaxing and just fun to do it.
I have a real problem though now. My supply chain is full and I want to brew again. Looks like I will be sending some friends home happy with homebrew.

On draft: chinook blonde
On draft: vcca
Primary: Citra IPA
Aging: Westvleteren 12
Aging: JOAM
On Deck: Imperial Honey Porter
On Deck: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #76
HellFox
Recipes 

I started brewing about a year ago. Like many on here I started with an extract kit, then pieced together a couple of extract brews myself, then when I got (made happen) the needed extra equipment it was on to AG. And it sounds like a cliche at this point, but "I haven't looked back."

I have to admit when I was gearing up for the switch -- reading through some of the threads on this and other forums did intimidate me a little bit. It instilled a little bit of paranoia in me, but I think that has helped me make better beers. Even from the beginning extract brews, I had things like proper sanitation beat into my head.

Now, I'm beyond the initial paranoia and realize worst case scenario -- I'll have 50-plus beers to enjoy -- that aren't exactly how I expected. Even when it isn't just like I expected I learn something from it, and the next time I'll fix the problem. That is part of the joy about AG brewing though, is being able to create your own unique beer!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #77
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

All-grain seems a lot more difficult than it is due to the sheer number of different things you can and can't do and it can be hard to know what's actually necessary and what isn't when you first start out. I do think a lot of the perception of difficulty has been reduced with the rise in popularity of batch sparging (as well as other "modern sensibilities" i.e. ditching mash-outs). In my opinion of course.

Not that I'm saying you can't make wort just as easily when fly sparging, but the sheer number of instructions you're given in order to batch sparge (e.g. don't worry too much about the termperature, drain as quickly as you can, etc.) are much lower resulting in the process being very easy to wrap your mind around.

Quick Reply