Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is all grain supposed to be hard?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #61
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
LOL at the last sentence, but I think the equipment change and the improvement in homebrew quality were simultaneous and it had nothing to do with the gender of the brewers.
Actually, the increase in quality and availability of ingredients is what has been driving homebrew quality, not the equipment.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #62
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1754 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2974

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyclown View Post
100% of my mistakes still made beer.
This belongs on a brew-club T-shirt.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #63
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Haha - I read the thread title as a question on the density and rigidness of each style of grain at the home brew store.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #64
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1754 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2974

Just for my own edification and enjoyment... when I made my 1 gallon AG batch from the kit, my stock pot acted as both mash tun and kettle... correct?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #65
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Actually, the increase in quality and availability of ingredients is what has been driving homebrew quality, not the equipment.
Not to be pedantic, but it's not argument fodder. I said they were simultaneous, not cause and effect.

But if I wanted to make an argument for equipment, I'd point out temperature control and wort coolers are kind of key to making good beer...and neither were widely available prior to 1978

Edit: You're my hero..and I shouldn't be arguing with you.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #66
PuckX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah that's the one thing I hate about this hobby is elitist @ssh0l3s. I hate it in any hobby really. I for one would never laugh at anyone, only educate and assist. Some people just like to make themselves feel better by bringing others down. Just avoid those people, and take your money to another LHBS, they don't deserve your patronage.

Hellbilly Brewing

jbaysurfer Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #67
Genuine
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I basically started with all grain and haven't looked backk. The equipment costs were a bit more but after that, it's all gravy from there. Ingredients are cheaper and the process is simpler, I think.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #68
dnickerson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt
If someone in a shop copped an attitude like that, I'd run like hell. Some folks need to cool their jets and lose the attitude.

I think a lot of people (me too?) over-complicate AG brewing because they're people who really like tinkering...endless tinkering. Some people just want to make beer and don't enjoy building gizmos or solving puzzles. Tinkery people are attracted to AG. At the shop I part-time at, many or most of our AG customers are engineers, machinist/fabricator types, and the like. Many or most of our kit and extract customers are people who are more looking for fun and also hand crafted beer, but just don't care to fiddle with things to make 'em work. There's enough room in the world for all of us, and the world needs more homebrew!

I can see why some people just plain don't want to do AG- a bit more equipment (takes more space), full boil instead of partial, more wort to chill before pitching, more temp measurement, more calculations. Some people just don't want the fuss, which is fine. Buy an ingredient kit, throw the pot on the stove, and have an easy and fun time of it. The last time I helped a friend with an extract kit, it was easy and fun hanging out. It's exactly what many people are looking for in a hobby. It really didn't feel like "brewing" though...but that's because I really enjoy taking lots of measurements, scribbling lots of notes, and controlling every aspect of the final product.

It's kind of like bread from a bread machine and a mix or making it from scratch. Choosing proportions of different flours, perfecting kneading and rising, getting the texture just right- compared to "dump it in and turn it on." Both methods make tasty bread.
Nicely put.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #69
PuckX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

AG can be as easy (BIAB) or difficult (fly sparging, decoction, etc...) as you want to make it. There is just no need for some shop to be elitist about it. There is a new shop in my area and after about 5 minutes of spending time in the guy's shop I swore to never go back because I could tell he just had the stupid elitist attitude. Like he knew better than anyone else.

Just not enough time on this planet for me to care about tool's like that let alone give them my money.

I love beer, I make beer, and I love to share my love for beer with others. No attitude necessary.

Hellbilly Brewing

Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #70
herc1354
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckX
AG can be as easy (BIAB) or difficult (fly sparging, decoction, etc...) as you want to make it. There is just no need for some shop to be elitist about it. There is a new shop in my area and after about 5 minutes of spending time in the guy's shop I swore to never go back because I could tell he just had the stupid elitist attitude. Like he knew better than anyone else.

Just not enough time on this planet for me to care about tool's like that let alone give them my money.

I love beer, I make beer, and I love to share my love for beer with others. No attitude necessary.
Yep!

Quick Reply