Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is all grain supposed to be hard?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #31
noobiebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

You know I ran into a guy like that at my LHBS and he basically laughed when I asked a question. I fortunate to have a few stores in my area. I took my business elsewhere as the other stores did not laugh and want my business and you know what. They were in our boots at some point too, everyone is a noob at some point during their brewing life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
noobiebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiebrewer
You know I ran into a guy like that at my LHBS and he basically laughed when I asked a question. I fortunate to have a few stores in my area. I took my business elsewhere as the other stores did not laugh and want my business and you know what. They were in our boots at some point too, everyone is a noob at some point during their brewing life.
Sorry my toddler hit send

Hopefully you have other stores to go to if not there are some good mail order companies out there.

You can also call the store and speak to the owner/manager and tell them that they have a douche bag working for them.

In my case the guy was the owner and I told him he would not get one red cent outta me. The sad part is the store is only 5 blocks away. Now I drive to the other side of the city. Lol
I guess that saves me money haha

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #33
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It's not hard at all, but it's a little intimidating to run through a 5+ hour procedure for the first time... it's easier to do at least one or two extract batches first to learn that portion, then add the simple step of making temp controlled barley soup.

There are some more details such as water chemistry/mash pH that are important, but you don't have to worry about that right away.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #34
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Well I screwed up the only two extract batches that I've brewed and I did a decent job with most of my all grain brews. so I'm going to say, no it's not hard and really not any more time consuming..

Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #35
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 475 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 777

When new brewers ask me if they should just start with all-grain I give them my best advice:

Start with extract until you have that process and the fermentation process down. Then if you want more control you can go all grain.

This site is littered with posts from people so exasperated by this or that they want us to talk them down from the "quitter" ledge...so I personally think that starting extract increases the likelihood that a brewer STICKS.

But no, it's not "hard" it's just more elaborate and takes longer. I realize that "elaborate" is going to stir some objections, but even biab isn't as easy as dissolving extract into hot water IMHO.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 99 batches and counting (as of 10/21/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

danorocks17 Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
sapper-nc
Recipes 

Likes Given: 17

I have a habit of brewing for a couple years and then stopping for a couple or three years but I started extract brewing in 1991 and enjoyed brewing and liked my beers ,.. moved on to partial grain brewing around 1996 and really started to enjoy the beer ... then in 2012 went all grain. I still enjoy brewing and I now LOVE the Beer! I did have to get comfortable with the AG process but now it feels very simple.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #37
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think it's focus on things that are important but not necessary to make great beer. Ie- I've made an award winning beer and seldom check ph. I know messing with my water may make better beer but proper o2, yeast pitching and temp control gives me more than good enough beer

Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #38
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack View Post
I think it's focus on things that are important but not necessary to make great beer. Ie- I've made an award winning beer and seldom check ph. I know messing with my water may make better beer but proper o2, yeast pitching and temp control gives me more than good enough beer
Pittsburgh water is great for brewing. Low in everything, soft... generally all you might do is add a moderate amount of salts.

You've been brewing with fantastic water

My water in Cambridge MA and now Binghamton NY has been a bit of a challenge my whole brewing career, but nothing that actually holds me back.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #39
plumber_bob
Life gets in the way of brewing way too much!!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I'm not knocking extract brewing,... but I don't like short cuts.

My first batch was All Grain 10 gal. and even though I screwed it up it was still good beer! (So I guess it wasn't a screwup more like learning curve). Buddy at work is extract brewing and I get better raves from those who try both. <Insert Knuckle on chest rub here>. His beer is good, I like having more control of the recipe.

I never had a problem with AG brewing, and my only advise is, study and have patience. Or to quote Charlie, " Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew".

pb

Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #40
mpride1911
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervousDad View Post
Well I screwed up the only two extract batches that I've brewed and I did a decent job with most of my all grain brews. so I'm going to say, no it's not hard and really not any more time consuming..

My first batch was an extract wheat beer while I was still assembling my all grain equipment. It turned out horrible. Maybe 1-2% alcohol. I drank a quite a bit of it and then only blew a .012 on my breathalyzer. I know I should dump it to make corny keg room for the other three that I have in the final stages of fermentation. However, my all grain batches have been great and I love drinking them.

Quick Reply