Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is all grain supposed to be hard?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
zippyclown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

Default Is all grain supposed to be hard?

I was an extract brewer for a bunch of years. Then I walked into the LHBS and asked the guy for suggestions on a recipe for all grain IPA, not realizing it required a separate setup from what I had. In front of several people in line, he laughed and started lecturing me on the equipment and the time involved, etc etc. "You just can't suddenly decide to brew all grain!" he hollered. Most of the people in line were laughing hysterically at me. I seem to remember even a man's german shephard laughing as well. I will never forget that sound as long as I live. I blacked out for the remainder of the hazing but do remember screaming "FEET DON'T FAIL ME NOW" as I sprinted from the store.

After 2 years and 4 Anothony Robbins courses, I decided to revisit, and have been all grain ever since.

And looking back now I have to ask WHAT'S THE BIG FRIGGEN DEAL?

I skim over the message boards and it confuses me. People seem scared or imtimidated by the concept. It's like these people are deciding whether or not to have another child. I see the YouTube videos... 30 minutes of a guy trying to explain in great length how to convert a 10-gallon igloo cooler to be a mash tun, which by the way is pretty much all you need (hmm that took me under 10 mins using a wrench and a valve I bought online). Then there's the 60 minute step-by-step guide on how to fabricate your own false bottom ($15 on Amazon). A 3 month course on the chemistry of water you'll need to take before you can make an IPA (you trying to win a beer competition or make some good beer for your friends?).

Always been confused about all that.

Ok, bye!

zc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have never done a extract batch. And funny thing a friend wants to do one and I pretty much have to learn how.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Clearcut23
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I don't know what the big deal is. People make it out to be a huge thing like some sort of right of passage. I only started out brewing extract because I didn't know about all grain. Then I stepped up to BIAB partial mashes and it still didn't feel like it was MY beer using extracts. Moved out of my apartment almost a year ago and started doing all grain. I'm now in the process of stepping up to 10 gallon batches. If you think YOU got laughed at try walking into a snobby homebrew store and asking questions about Mr.Beer.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 352

When I was brewing extract & reading all the confusing posts on all grain, I thought no way! Then I came across the following 2 websites; I thought, heck ya I can do that!.
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
http://www.freewebs.com/kenlenard/allgrainbrewing.htm

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

ingredients are cheaper, process is easier IMO, up front setup costs are the only downfall, from my perspective.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Its more time consuming but I would never say it's hard. There are times when you need to pay attention to minor detail but it's not rocket science.
I've made some decent extract beers and very good partial mash beers but I've not been able to duplicate AG yet.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
zippyclown
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt17 View Post
When I was brewing extract & reading all the confusing posts on all grain, I thought no way! Then I came across the following 2 websites; I thought, heck ya I can do that!.
http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
http://www.freewebs.com/kenlenard/allgrainbrewing.htm
Seriously. People are only concerned with "I want to show people how much I undersand about AG brewing". It should be, "Let me explain this in the simplest terms possible once and for all so that nobody has to explain this again."
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

It's supposed to be as difficult as possible.... so everyday people can't join the club. Because, you know, we aren't worthy. Sounds like you got it pretty much figured out... don't let those guys at the shop intimidate you!!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
remandsager
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewed one batch of extract, and then stepped up to all-grain. Not a big deal...just a bit more gear. We have an excellent brew shop in Corvallis, with a great selection of malts, and grain mills to use on-site, so that is one piece of gear we haven't had to buy - yet...

Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
beergynt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyclown View Post
Is all grain supposed to be hard?
Yes. If it's soft then you're more than likely going to have to buy new grain...

No. I started out all-grain and haven't looked back. Just read up on techniques, used this forum and it's inhabitants, and wasn't afraid to make mistakes. You learn from them.
People Like This 

Quick Reply