Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain Rolling Boil on the Stove

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
gallagherman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default All Grain Rolling Boil on the Stove

Just moved into an apartment, and I want to continue to do all grain. I tested a 6 gallon boil of water on my gas stove to ensure that I could do a full boil indoors, now that the turkey fryer is not an option in the city where I am. It took a while, but the water hit 212 and bubbles were coming from the bottom of the pot, but there was not really a rolling boil. The surface of the water was at most at a simmer i'd say. It got better after the volume of the water lessened due to evaporation. I have a couple of questions:

1. If this is how my wort will boil, what effects will this have on my beer?
2. If I leave the cover partially on, the boil becomes a bit more violent, is this an acceptable solution?
3. Will an actual boil (with wort and not just water) boil more violently or more calmly? I was thinking the massive amount of sugar will increase the specific heat of the liquid and the boil will be more violent because the wort can retain more heat.

Can someone please ease my stress?

Next: Dead Guy Clone, Weißbier

Fermenting: The Riley

Kegged: Dry Stout, RyePA

My Blog! www.beerunion.net

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

1) If your recipe has a lot of lightly kilned malt, like pilsner, a weak boil *could* result in DMS in the finished beer.

2) If your recipe has a lot of lightly kilned malt, like pilsner, a partially covered boil *could* result in DMS in the finished beer.

You could use a bucket heater, or a heatstick to help supplement your stove.

Also, is it an electric, or gas range? If it's electric, you could try insulating the sides of your pot, which may help.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagherman View Post
...I tested a 6 gallon boil of water on my gas stove...
Insulating is out unless he uses a non-flammable material.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
lustreking
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
Insulating is out unless he uses a non-flammable material.
D'oh! I missed that he said he had a gas range. Using an immersion heater is probably the best way to go then.

My brewing site:

Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Here's a good read on the subject. The short of it is that you want a full rolling boil.

Quote:
One of the most important reactions that occurs in the wort boil is the formation of "hot break". Hot break is the coagulation of proteins, formation of protein-polyphenol complexes, and reaction with hop compounds to create larger particles that will sediment out in the whirlpool at the end of the boil. These reactions occur at higher rates at higher temperatures and more agitation. This is why your wort boil must be full and rolling... the more vigorous and turbulent the boil, the more of these compounds form over time..
The Beer Life of Brian: Importance of a Full Wort Boil

Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
aaronwillen
Recipes 

I brew on my stove in my apartment. Although the stove is a brand new larger style gas stove Its sometimes hard to keep a rolling boil. One thing you could try that worked for me was to make a keggle. This allows me to span both burners and use the larger "powerburner" for the bulk of the work but also supplement it with the "precise simmer" burner.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For a lot of years when I was in your position without the space or ability to move things outside and with an apartment sized kitchen I simply divided the wort into two large 4 gallon pots and boiled those, dividing my hops between them. It's not ideal, but it worked fine and I made some remarkably good beer this way. Now, I've got my turkey fryers outside. But two smaller sized boilpots can work just fine.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
gallagherman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkling View Post
I simply divided the wort into two large 4 gallon pots and boiled those, dividing my hops between them. It's not ideal, but it worked fine and I made some remarkably good beer this way. Now, I've got my turkey fryers outside. But two smaller sized boilpots can work just fine.
do you have to adjust your hop calculations? does hop utilization change when you are splitting the volumes in two?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
gallagherman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

also, it looks like the bucket heater is a very good option. However another caveat of my apt is that we are limited by 15 Amp circuits (its and old 1930s art deco place) can anyone please let me know the amperage of their bucket heaters or immersion heaters?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
lustreking
Recipes 

The commercial bucket heater that I linked to is 1000 W and should draw 8.3 amps at 120V, so you'd be fine.

If you wanted to build a heat stick, you could go up to 1500 W which will draw 12.5 amps.

My brewing site:

Quick Reply