Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All grain partial boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
tobrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default All grain partial boil

Is it possable to do a partial boil using all grain? The problem I have is my well that use to chill full boils dryed up. So i was wondering if I mash and collect 3gallons of wort,boil,cool and than top off in the fermenter would it be ok? Any draw backs from doing this?
Mike

Brew it Drink it Brew MORE!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You should search brew in a bag (BIAB). That's probably what you will end up doing.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
ian-atx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You would (if I understand the question) be doing a higher gravity brew, then diluting with water to reach whatever target gravity. You would have to adjust your hopping and whatnot and take all of that in account.

I personally can't stand not being able to do full boils. I would probably do as JJL suggests and BIAB.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
tobrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was just looking at the BIAB method. Think I will go that route until we get some rain..
Thanks

Brew it Drink it Brew MORE!!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Partial boil all grain is very inefficient. You'd be better off doing a partial mash, then augmenting with some extract.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I don't see how BIAB is going to help with your cooling issue.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Partial boil all grain is very inefficient. You'd be better off doing a partial mash, then augmenting with some extract.
I think Bobby_M is right, but if you fly sparge, you may be able to get away with it.
For many years, I fly sparged with a 5g Rubbermaid cooler. With that setup, I always needed to collect a full boil volume from the sparge. A few years ago, I changed to a 10g Rubbermaid cooler. With this, I find that normally I need to stop the sparge before I have collected the full volume. For simplicity, I make up the volume prior to the boil, but it would certainly be possible to do a partial boil, and make up the volume post boil, without losing any efficiency.
With the 10g cooler, If I sparge for 40 minutes, I need to collect the full volume, but if I sparge for 90 minutes, I can stop the sparge at about 85% of the full volume with virtually no loss of efficiency.
This would indicate that I could do a partial boil with about 85% of the full boil volume. With a different MLT geometry, it may be possible to reduce this %age even further, and make a partial boil with AG possible with minimal efficiency loss.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply