Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain from MINIMAL GRAIN VARIENTS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdoyle1980
just about all the AG recipes I've seen call for about 5+ different grains. I'm not COMPLETELY NOVICE, but still very much a beginner. Most of the batches I've done have been malt extract kits. I'd like to try an all-grain batch. Anyone got any recipes for an AG beginner that has, like 2 different grains : like 10#s of 2/6-row and X#s of Scottish Smoked Peat or Chocolate roasted something ? I'd LOVE to try something that doesn't come out of a F$%^'in CAN, but i can't break the bank having to buy 10# bags of 5-10 different grains + hops.... to brew 5gals for $100.... help

~TheDoyle
you don't have to buy your grains in bulk, unless you brew every week and that makes it more convenient (my homebrew shop is 1.5 hours away and i don't). my HBS looks at my recipe, they give me the amount/type of grains i need for it, mill 'em while i wait and drool over gadgets, put 'em in a wax paper bag, and send me on my way. i'll spend $20-25 on ingredients for a 5.5 gallon batch.

i know some will order a 50# bag of 2-row, and then just order/buy their specialty grains as needed. i don't because i have no where to store them properly, and only brew about once every month.

maybe just start by doing extract batches with some steeped grains for added body and character. doesn't require much more (equipment or money-wise), and you'll get a better brew. add liquide yeast, proper ferm temps, and you'll probably match any all-grain beer (probalby fella's, probably )

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1master
i don't store grains, that's what the homebrewshop is for. she sells grain, crushed for about a buck a pound, depending on the grain. i just hand a grain and hop bill to her and she measures and crushes the grain for me.

a typical batch costs about 13-15 bucks.
That's where I think I'm heading as well T1. Initially I was thinking online order bulk and may someday (thus my question) but if my local hbs will fill the grain recipe even if I only buy .25 of this .5 of that along with the base and then mill it for me I don't have to store it or purchase a mill. $ per lb is in the .90 for your simple amer 2 row and around 1.50 avg for other varieties. Probably a little cheaper online but add a mill, shipping... I'm lucky though that on the way home from work a little detour and I'm right at the hbs.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:21 AM   #13
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had thought about buying in bulk. For a fair investment, I could buy enough of everything I use to keep me going for about a year. I don't because I like going to the HBS. I have a routine. I walk in with my recipe.. say hello to everyone sitting at the counter drinking a beer.. put my recipe together, look around to see if I "need" anything else, grab my yeast and an ice-pack, then join the guys at the counter and enjoy a brew and talk about homebrewing for an hour or so. It gives me something to do on a saturday afternoon and it gets me out of my wife's hair for a while.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #14
Catullus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
That's where I think I'm heading as well T1. Initially I was thinking online order bulk and may someday (thus my question) but if my local hbs will fill the grain recipe even if I only buy .25 of this .5 of that along with the base and then mill it for me I don't have to store it or purchase a mill. $ per lb is in the .90 for your simple amer 2 row and around 1.50 avg for other varieties. Probably a little cheaper online but add a mill, shipping... I'm lucky though that on the way home from work a little detour and I'm right at the hbs.
I only brew in 15-25 gallon batches so I average 35-40+ lbs of grain per batch. For me it is more cost effect to order in bulk. I'll order 350 lbs of base malt for a year ~ 10 -12 batches a year (north country malt) @ $0.46 -0.49/lbs even with shipping I'm saving ~$100.00 vs. the local hbs. I don't like the idea of having ground grain sitting around for even short periods of time. If I can't brew one weekend and have to wait a week or two, the grain will oxidize (stale) much more rapidly due to the increased surface area and lack of protective husk.

Now for storage- I keep them in the sacks in the cellar @ 65-70 F. This is probably a little high but I haven't noticed a problem. If I don't use a full bag I have a Rubbermaid container that I place the rest of the grain in (sack and all). Higher storage temps won't have too much of a negative effect on quality it will just increase the rate of oxidation. I would be more concerned with humidity and consequently mold growth.

Jason

Fermenter: IPA
Keg: Irish Red
Keg: Double Nut Brown
On Tap: Foolish Basterd (Arrogant Basterd clone); Blueberry Wheat

Old 06-26-2005, 12:13 AM   #15
Rookie
Recipes 

If your LHBS has a decent variety of grains at a decent price there is not much need to store grains. They will sell you the exact amount you need and probably mill it also.
If you have to mail order grains you can store them in an air tight container for quite a long time.

Rookie
"We all put the yeast in", Larry, Moe & Curley.

Quick Reply