Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain from MINIMAL GRAIN VARIENTS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 05:41 AM   #1
wdoyle1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All Grain from MINIMAL GRAIN VARIENTS?

just about all the AG recipes I've seen call for about 5+ different grains. I'm not COMPLETELY NOVICE, but still very much a beginner. Most of the batches I've done have been malt extract kits. I'd like to try an all-grain batch. Anyone got any recipes for an AG beginner that has, like 2 different grains : like 10#s of 2/6-row and X#s of Scottish Smoked Peat or Chocolate roasted something ? I'd LOVE to try something that doesn't come out of a F$%^'in CAN, but i can't break the bank having to buy 10# bags of 5-10 different grains + hops.... to brew 5gals for $100.... help

~TheDoyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't knock brewing out of a can, those kits make some damn fine beer. However, I feel your pain and am going AG myself, today infact.

Most HBS will sell 1lb. bags of grain. You will probably need a 10lb. bag of your base grain and then several pounds of specialty grains. Even if you had 4-5 different grains, it shouldn't cost you more than $30.00. Each subsequent batch will cost less because you'll have some grain on hand.

I just had to buy a 1lb. bag of roasted barley. I only used 2oz. from that bag. I sealed the bag and put it in the freezer, hence, I won't have to buy roasted barley for sometime, cutting down on cost of the next batch.

A good Irish Red Ale beginner AG recipe, single infusion:

7.25 lb Briess Pale Ale Malt
1.0 lb Briess 10L Caramel Malt
3 oz Briess Extra Special Malt
2 oz Briess Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Honey

1.5 oz E.K. Goldings, 4.75% alpha acid (60 minutes)
.5 oz E.K. Goldings, 4.75% alpha acit (15 minutes)

White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Good Luck!!

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Going to all-grain will require another equipment investment, so if you don't have the means for that, there is nothing wrong with sticking with extract. At least until you can buy the new equipment.
I made some pretty good beers with extract. Just start improving the way you do it each time--next time steep some specialty grains, or maybe sometime try a mini-mash. The quality of your beer will improve every time.

You certainly cannot go wrong doing extract with specialty grains. Its quite easy!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I found that a 1lb bag of Cara-pils, or Crystal, or Vienna, or Munich, or Roasted Barley malt was usually $2 or $3. Many of the recipies I've made call for 1/2 or 1/4 lb amounts of these malts. The leftovers can be stored in the freezer and used later.

Most recipies call for Pale Malt and that's pretty cheap as well. I can get 50 lbs of Breiss 2 row for $38. (enough to make roughly five batches of beer.)

All grain is cheaper. It's definitely not $100 per 5 gal batch. More like $13.50 per batch. That's a bargain.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 06-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Justin Chomel
Recipes 

Why not a simple pale ale? Say 10 pounds of 2-row and a pound of Crystal 40. Mash at 152 degrees. 1.5 ounces of Cascade at 60 minutes, .5 at 15, and another half ounce at 1 minute. 1056 yeast. Adjust to your liking, I'm just thinking on my feet here. Although it's a simple beer, it will none the less be a quality, drinkable brew.

Have you visited Beer Tools? I used their recipe generator when I first started out in all grain to create some base recipes.

-JC

Old 06-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
Catullus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Brewing Co.
I just had to buy a 1lb. bag of roasted barley. I only used 2oz. from that bag. I sealed the bag and put it in the freezer, hence, I won't have to buy roasted barley for sometime, cutting down on cost of the next batch.
I would recommend against storing your un-used grain in the freezer. Moister is detrimental to grain quality (freshness). Malted grain contains a certain amount of water, usually 3-8%. If you have a frostless freezer then the grains will be going through a number of freeze-thaw cycles. This is extremely detrimental to any grain especially grains with high DP (base malts) as it will cause structural changes in the protein and enzymes and thus may not be able to convert and will give a stale/oxidized taste when mashed.

The best way to store un-used grain is in sealed containers in a cool place with low relative humidity (like Tupperware in a cellar) The container will keep the bugs out and the grain will remain 'fresh' for up to a year.

I remember there was an issue of BYO that went into storage conditions for raw materials--- I can't remember the issue right now. If I find it I'll send a link to the article.

Jason

Fermenter: IPA
Keg: Irish Red
Keg: Double Nut Brown
On Tap: Foolish Basterd (Arrogant Basterd clone); Blueberry Wheat

Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catullus
...Moister is detrimental to grain quality (freshness). Malted grain contains a certain amount of water, usually 3-8%. If you have a frostless freezer then the grains will be going through a number of freeze-thaw cycles. This is extremely detrimental to any grain...
This is absolutely dead on. Don't freeze your grains. In fact, dark roasted grains like roasted barley, black patent, and chocolate have been pretty much burnt and will last well beyond the life of base malts like 2-row or Munich. You can keep these dark roasted malts for probably 2 maybe 3 years if stored properly. Just put them in a zip lock and keep them at cellar temps in low humidity.

Prosit,

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 06-23-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to know, thanks.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
This is absolutely dead on. Don't freeze your grains.
ok, then what about a fridg or is it still best to keep them at "room temp". Cellar temps don't happen out here; ever. BTW - the local HBS doesn't keep em in a cooled area so I think I know the answer already...

Oh, by the way TheDoyle. I'll be doing my 1st AG next weekend and am selecting an APA for the same reasons you mentioned. Simple recipe:
9# 2 row
.5# Crystal 60l
Northern Brewer .75 @ 60
Cascade .75 @ 30
Cascade .75 @ 15

Was from John Palmer How To Brew site under his favorite recipes. I up'ed the 2 row a bit for a bigger SG. Think most new AGers start with similar.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #10
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i don't store grains, that's what the homebrewshop is for. she sells grain, crushed for about a buck a pound, depending on the grain. i just hand a grain and hop bill to her and she measures and crushes the grain for me.

a typical batch costs about 13-15 bucks.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply