Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain with low gravity.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
JohnnyKim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All Grain with low gravity.

just brewed a hefeweizen and my gravity reading is 1.030 of the estimate 1.056. what can i do to boost the gravity a little higher?

i had a huge mess using a plate chiller today so i lost some wort in the process.

thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Richabt
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have some DME, I'd add about a pound and a half to it. If you want to simply add points with affecting the flavor too much, you could use sugar as well. Not the optimal way to have to go, but it will work.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
JohnnyKim
Recipes 

i can run to the LHBS tom and pick up some DME. i need something thats fermentable. any other suggestions?

EDIT: i wanna bump the og(fermentable) a little higher b/c i dont want this beer to come out tooo dry. suppose to be slightly on the malty side. perhaps i can throw in more honey? (honey was on of the ingredients)

Old 03-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKim View Post
i can run to the LHBS tom and pick up some DME. i need something thats fermentable. any other suggestions?

EDIT: i wanna bump the og(fermentable) a little higher b/c i dont want this beer to come out tooo dry. suppose to be slightly on the malty side. perhaps i can throw in more honey? (honey was on of the ingredients)
Honey will ferment almost completely making it even dryer, it also takes longer to ferment.

If you want it to have some maltiness, you need to add some unfermentables as well. Not sure what you would add, maybe some amber extract? Personally, I would probably mash a couple pounds of crystal malt and add that.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
JohnnyKim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Honey will ferment almost completely making it even dryer, it also takes longer to ferment.

If you want it to have some maltiness, you need to add some unfermentables as well. Not sure what you would add, maybe some amber extract? Personally, I would probably mash a couple pounds of crystal malt and add that.
im gonna take a ride and ask them about these suggestions. thanks!

Quick Reply