Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain House Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #31
ian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just added mine up and not counting yeast - I guess add about a $1 because I reuse yeast - I brewed that Pale Ale recipe above for about $12.30.

buying grain in bulk really helps!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #32
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNOmar
$16.42?!?
Not fair! I just got back from the LHBS where I paid that much for the grain alone and that didn't even include the milling charge (.25/lb).
Granted I paid $9 for the 1056 smack pack, but even omitting that I'm still $10 heavier than you. What's your secret?
My Secret? Well..... Ok, here it is...

Austin Home Brew Supply ROCKS!

8# 2 Row Brewers Malt $8.80
2# Vienna Malt $3.00
.5# Crystal 10L $0.95
2 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets $2.38
Nottingham Yeast $1.49

Acutally it comes to $16.62. AHBS rocks because they sell in fractions of a pound, don't charge to crush it, and when you give them your list, they give you a nice big paper bag will all your grain in it ready to go. I swing by at lunch on the Friday before brewday and pick up my ingredients so they are very fresh. Since they all qualify as food, there's no tax either.

Ahhh, liquid bread.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:04 AM   #33
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Home Brew HQ in Richardson works that way too, and similar prices. http://www.homebrewhq.com/ They're open an hour later on Thursday, so that's when I usually go right after leaving work.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:58 PM   #34
pbowler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my LHBS charges $.99/lb crushed or whole, granted YOU do the crushing...

Drinking: Heiniken
Thinking about: A really Hoppy Red
In the Driveway: 1990 BMW 750il

SLEEPY DAD BREWERY

Old 09-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #35
UNOmar
Recipes 

*contemplates moving to austin...*

Well, now I have really got to buy that grain mill so I can buy in bulk.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #36
EdWort

Recipes 

This beer has been sitting in my lagerator connected to gas since October 4th. I just put it in the Kegerator as my Porter blew this weekend.

I must say, this is one mighty tasty beer. SWMBO approves, so I've found something she'll drink besides my Bavarian Hefeweizen and Apfelwein.

Thanks to another great thread here, I've found a good all around recipe that tastes great and most folks will enjoy.

Hmm good. It's going to be a very MERRY Christmas this year.

Cheers!

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Just pitched the yeast at 75 degrees. My final OG is 1.048 for 5.5 gallons.

Here's my final tweaked recipe.

8 lbs. 2-Row
2 lbs. Vienna
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L

1.0 oz Cascade at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade at 5 min.

Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast Hydrated with a pint starter.

Calculates out to about 38 IBUs and it should look like this.

I upgraded to a 10 gallon cooler. Preheated it, and mashed in with just over 3.5 gallons of water at 165 degrees. My mash hit 152 degrees and stayed there for an hour. I did stir it well during mash in and once during the 60 minute pause.

After 60 minutes, I added about 1.5 gallons of water at 185 degrees and stirred well. Waited a few minutes and then vorlaufed and poured into the kettle.

One more batch of 3.5 gallons at 170 degrees, stirred well, waited a few minutes and then let er rip into the kettle.

I'm just using a stainless braid.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #37
Turricaine
Recipes 

Im actually considering doing one of these myself. At the moment im using just under 7 pounds of maltto make up a 5 gallon batch and then adding a tin of light malt extract to reach the desired gravity.

This works good but im starting to realize now that its cheaper just to buy another bag of grain and not bother with the tin. I've been messing around with promash and have drawn up this hypothetical IPA recipe I intend on doing:

6 kilos Pale crushed
1 ounce Black patent
2 ounce 8.5% Northdown (1, 60; 0.5, 30; 0.5, 15)

That's alot of grain but then I figure I dont need to be too fussed over efficiency especially now that I am getting to grips with the principles of homebrew and am growing in confidence.

Actually I just re-read this thread. Im only collecting like just over 6 gallons of water pre-boil, maybe 6.5 max. With my electric kettle filament boiler there is no way I can collect more than this. Therefore I am going to stick with my partial mashes, or what I will call 'pseudo-AG' for the time being.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #38
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
My Secret? Well..... Ok, here it is...

Austin Home Brew Supply ROCKS!

8# 2 Row Brewers Malt $8.80
2# Vienna Malt $3.00
.5# Crystal 10L $0.95
2 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets $2.38
Nottingham Yeast $1.49

Acutally it comes to $16.62. AHBS rocks because they sell in fractions of a pound, don't charge to crush it, and when you give them your list, they give you a nice big paper bag will all your grain in it ready to go. I swing by at lunch on the Friday before brewday and pick up my ingredients so they are very fresh. Since they all qualify as food, there's no tax either.

Ahhh, liquid bread.
Ed, I don't know if subliminally I had already embedded your recipe in my brain, or what, but I'm thinking of something pretty much exactly like this for my next brew (since I've temporarily given up on the idea of a steam beer). Couple pounds of Vienna for some character, little bit of Crystal 10L or Crystal 20L, but otherwise just a good, solid, session beer using primarily Cascade hops. MAYBE using some Northern Brewer, since I liked the combo with Cascades so much in Walker's IPA.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 AM   #39
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Ed, I don't know if subliminally I had already embedded your recipe in my brain, or what, but I'm thinking of something pretty much exactly like this for my next brew (since I've temporarily given up on the idea of a steam beer). Couple pounds of Vienna for some character, little bit of Crystal 10L or Crystal 20L, but otherwise just a good, solid, session beer using primarily Cascade hops. MAYBE using some Northern Brewer, since I liked the combo with Cascades so much in Walker's IPA.
I tell ya, after letting the keg sit in the kegerator for a few days, the beer settled to crystal clear. I AM SO AMAZED at this easy and quite quaffable brew. I took some to some homebrew buddies (two liter bottle with a Carbonator cap) and they were amazed at the clarity, lace & head retention, not to mention the taste for a beer fermented with a dry yeast for two weeks in a bucket before kegging.

It may have something to do with being aged for over a month on gas, but I intend to repeat this many times as SWMBO likes it and I'm very happy with the results. I can't wait for the Barley Crusher to arrive so I can buy grain in bulk and bring the price for a batch down even further.

I have to hand it to UNOmar for starting this thread and the idea of a Haus Ale. This is going to be a signature beer for me that will be "in stock" to accompany my Apfelwein.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-28-2006, 03:49 AM   #40
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

This will be my next beer, something nice and easy to drink, that will go well with pizza and wings watching college hoops in a couple months, a session beer, something I can drink all afternoon.

"Paler Than Gonzaga" March Madness Pale Ale.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply